When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Information about 1978 Schwinn Klunker 5

-
Recent sell on eBay with just a few incorrect parts and bassackwards aftermarket front fender.

81 Cruiser 5 with rear caliper brake.

Here are the badge numbers and serial numbers of my four Klunker 5. Schwinn Reporter introduced to the Stores in an article July / August 1978 edition.

Blue / Badge 3138 / HP590943 / Wisconsin
Blue / Badge 2918 / HP593489 / Northern CA Coast
Black / Badge 2918 / JP525329 / San Jose CA
Red / Badge 3038 / JP527368 / Akron OH

FYI: Bought Black 5 Speed in South Carolina from son of Original Owner. Came with Carlisle Diamond Tread and Spitfire Chain Guard. You make your own conclusion....
Black / Badge 3418 / KP570398

All my other KP Spitfire 5s have Badge Numbers from February 79

Here are the badge numbers and serial numbers of my four Klunker 5. Schwinn Reporter introduced to the Stores in an article July / August 1978 edition.

FYI: Bought Black 5 Speed in South Carolina from son of Original Owner. Came with Carlisle Diamond Tread and Spitfire Chain Guard. You make your own conclusion....

91B39784-A314-4C3A-9D44-AFB40DA5BD15.jpeg

D4E01D96-6AD0-4C74-9123-0F2BD3021940.jpeg

Just noticed in @ KLUNKER 5 add it says front & rear caliper brakes, prototype or misprint?, picture has drum. sure would be alot lighter if that bike exist. oh ya, never seen that stem on a Spitfire/Cruiser?, a lot can change before it hits the showroom!

Last edited:

Would you happen to be selling any of your Klunkers?

• Haha
Reactions: mrg
Ok, this one is interesting!, picked up this Klunker 5 ( no Klunker chain guard ), was laying on the ground in a pile and had a 50's locking springer on it ( lock half way out but thats another story! ), kinda thought it might be a Klunker buy the HP ser# ( Aug 78 ) & Chair front hub dated 78, checked the badge, 2648- Sept 78 so that falls in line too, similar #'s to one I sold a while back so I though I ck my black K but cant get to it right now and could not read frame #'s in any of my pics here but there is a good one of my badge, 2638, one day before my new one so between that & #'s posted here I'd say It's a OG Klunker, not sure when the the first real Spitfire 5's showed up ( some early Klunkers Schwinn changed guards to Spitfire5 ) but now need to find one of those discarded Klunker guards, in black!, Oh ya, someone put on a white Positron cable, wrong pedals, seat post clamp and sawed off the post but really need a 78 hand brake & black fork!

Last edited:
Ok, this one is interesting!, picked up this Klunker 5 ( no Klunker chain guard ), was laying on the ground in a pile and had a 50's locking springer on it ( lock half way out but thats another story! ), kinda thought it might be a Klunker buy the HP ser# ( Aug 78 ) & Chair front hub dated 78, checked the badge, 2648- Sept 78 so that falls in line too, similar #'s to one I sold a while back so I though I ck my black K but cant get to it right now and could not read frame #'s in any of my pics here but there is a good one of my badge, 2638, one day before my new one so between that & #'s posted here I'd say It's a OG Klunker, not sure when the the first real Spitfire 5's showed up ( some early Klunkers Schwinn changed guards to Spitfire5 ) but now need to find one of those discarded Klunker guards, in black!, Oh ya, someone put on a white Positron cable, wrong pedals, seat post clamp and sawed off the post but really need a 78 hand brake & black fork!View attachment 1705892

It is most likely a KLUNKER 5 from the date codes. Too bad it is missing the guard, because that is what makes the bike what it is. You will be hard pressed to find a guard for it, and if you do, it will most likely cost you a premium to get it......!

Back