When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Information needed

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I don't think that there was a name designated for this one. The catalogs call it a Men's Standard D-12

C34763 05/22 thru 05/29/1952. Number stamped on left drop out.
What's the tire size? 26 x 2.125? Are the rims marked S-2?????

By 1957 pretty much all the Schwinns had a model name on the guards and there were only two balloon bikes for 57, the Phantom and the Wasp. The 1" pitch chain was obsolete in 1957. If this bike is a 57, which I really doubt, it would be a middleweight. With the info and that one picture I'd say it's a 1952 D-12 even though it has a light that could have been very easily added.

By 1957 pretty much all the Schwinns had a model name on the guards and there were only two balloon bikes for 57, the Phantom and the Wasp. The 1" pitch chain was obsolete in 1957. If this bike is a 57, which I really doubt, it would be a middleweight. With the info and that one picture I'd say it's a 1952 D-12 even though it has a light that could have been very easily added.

I'm with you on all of that. Schwinn switched the serial location in '52 so it gets iffy in that year. Look at the catalog from '52, there was also the D-13 for $2 more (although there isn't an illustration). I'm guessing that's where the headlight shows up.

Yep... Tire size is 26 x 2.125 and the rims are stamped S-2 Thank you for the good info

Yep... Tire size is 26 x 2.125 and the rims are stamped S-2 Thank you for the good info

You're welcome. Here's a little kicker in figuring out the year on your Schwinn since that SN was used 3 different post war years and possibly in late 1946 to 1947 but stamped on the BB. Your serial number was used in 1953 along with 52 and 57. Date was 10/23-10/30/1953.
The reason the year 1953 can be eliminated is the D-12 standard (unequipped) was named the Meteor and the frame went from a straight bar to a cantilever frame. An no light on that one either. Then in 1954 the model D-12 transformed into the Wasp.

Trfindley's shows a picture of a '52 D-13. It has the light on the fender And it's also shown with truss rods. I'm going with a D-13 as equipped from the factory.

http://www.trfindley.com/flschwinn_1951_1960/1952_04.html

The '52 Hornet had a Rocket Ray lamp, 9 hole rack, tank, and the Phantom styled chain guard.

The D-13 has a curved bottom tube and the OP's bike is a straight bar. So it's got to be a D-12 with additions. Schwinn very well could have built the bike that way but it's still a D-12 dressed up as a D-13

The D-13 has a curved bottom tube and the OP's bike is a straight bar. So it's got to be a D-12 with additions. Schwinn very well could have built the bike that way but it's still a D-12 dressed up as a D-13

Am I confused? I'm looking at the black bike hanging and it has a curved bottom tube as do the pictures in the catalogs. Are you looking at a different bike?

Ed

Back