When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

***Information***

-

5760rj

I live for the CABE
back ground information on this schwinn seat post clamp with raised letters
20190512_174654.jpg

20190512_174716.jpg

20190512_174734.jpg

Early 1946 models is what I've been told.
I was told these were produced commercially and not a true schwinn item, can you tell me anymore? if these were used were they discontinued because of cost production or poor quality or experimental,

There were quite a few production changes during the first bikes produced post war. On a few prewar lightweights (Superior) Schwinn started using the removable seat post clamp. The outie AS on the bolt was a short lived detail but it's noted they were used on some early 1946 models. Those AS bolts were most likely the first production run with an unknown number produced. I highly doubt there were counterfeit AS seat clamp bolts. There was also a font size change later on with the recessed style AS stamping. Pic below.

Quote:
Identifying features:

Skinny drop outs (1946)
Razor edge fenders
Shortie rear fender(early 1946 rare)
light cover has deep rear screw hole
Raised or de bossed style AS clamp(rare)
Non scripted light lens
Tapered pencil kick stand
Canti frames have more of a hump to the top tube. (Early)
Straight bars ie "fat bars" have same dia bottom tubing. (This feature also was found on later years and is not solely indicative of a 1946)
Rack clamp is a one piece flat band aid shaped plate.
Rear top stay fender bracket is sometimes tubular on early frames. (I've only seen this on dx models). My 46 rear fender stay mount is taller and more boxy then late 40s 50s style.
Early 46 tanks have been seen with tapped brackets ie left over snap style prewar tanks.
Big outtie delta horn button and tank hole (prewar size).
Chain guard front frame mount tab is thinner with bigger hole.
Grips will be oval with one tail coming off N without double back crossover(late prewar style)
Rear chevron will be shorter on 46.
Drop center rims or sometimes Lobdell flat profile rims.
1946 bikes have been found with 1941 stamped dogleg cranks
skinny truss rods.
Springer pivot bolt rumored to be chrome on early 46?
Pivot clip was prewar style half clip.(early)
Springer fenders sported diamond and tombstone reinforcement tabs
Granted stuff got replaced or got carried over ie pencil stand.
Note; (A) serial started again in 51 but in regular larger print.
What I have gathered doing research and asking experts is that the I J and K serials would have been left over prewar BB shells and or frames that had already been stamped prior. A being the first true postwar serial. Hope this helps. Pm me if you have any further questions or would like to add something to the list. Thank you

1558288783575.png

Last edited:
There were quite a few production changes during the first bikes produced post war. On a few prewar lightweights (Superior) Schwinn started using the removable seat post clamp. The outie AS on the bolt was a short lived detail but it's noted they were used on some early 1946 models. Those AS bolts were most likely the first production run with an unknown number produced. I highly doubt there were counterfeit AS seat clamp bolts. Their was also a font size change later on with the recessed style AS stamping. Pic below.

Quote:
Identifying features:

Skinny drop outs (1946)
Razor edge fenders
Shortie rear fender(early 1946 rare)
light cover has deep rear screw hole
Raised or de bossed style AS clamp(rare)
Non scripted light lens
Tapered pencil kick stand
Canti frames have more of a hump to the top tube. (Early)
Straight bars ie "fat bars" have same dia bottom tubing. (This feature also was found on later years and is not solely indicative of a 1946)
Rack clamp is a one piece flat band aid shaped plate.
Rear top stay fender bracket is sometimes tubular on early frames. (I've only seen this on dx models). My 46 rear fender stay mount is taller and more boxy then late 40s 50s style.
Early 46 tanks have been seen with tapped brackets ie left over snap style prewar tanks.
Big outtie delta horn button and tank hole (prewar size).
Chain guard front frame mount tab is thinner with bigger hole.
Grips will be oval with one tail coming off N without double back crossover(late prewar style)
Rear chevron will be shorter on 46.
Drop center rims or sometimes Lobdell flat profile rims.
1946 bikes have been found with 1941 stamped dogleg cranks
skinny truss rods.
Springer pivot bolt rumored to be chrome on early 46?
Pivot clip was prewar style half clip.(early)
Springer fenders sported diamond and tombstone reinforcement tabs
Granted stuff got replaced or got carried over ie pencil stand.
Note; (A) serial started again in 51 but in regular larger print.
What I have gathered doing research and asking experts is that the I J and K serials would have been left over prewar BB shells and or frames that had already been stamped prior. A being the first true postwar serial. Hope this helps. Pm me if you have any further questions or would like to add something to the list. Thank you

View attachment 1000582
Thank you very much in your response, from what you have posted, how could there be any misunderstanding, you were very informative and helps me further my understanding in schwinn production items through these years, as I accumulate items for my custom build I have been derailed many times from my original concept due to rarity items for sale on Cabe, as well as finding other hard to impossible items from other members, on the A.S. seat post clamp I am glad to hear from you and teaches me to go with my gut feeling instead of listening to this person that might mislead me, just to down play this item for the purpose of buying it for himself, now that I think of it, everytime I have had a purchase of a hard to find or rare item I have always been told that I paid to much for that or some other story that seemed a little far fetched, once again thank you for your knowledge and I hope other members read your response, .......

I purchased an embossed AS seat post bolt at a show/swap-meet in Huntington Beach in the early '80's. Had never seen one before. A gentleman that watched the transaction approached me about an hour later and asked me if I wanted to sell it to him. Since I thought it was odd looking I thought I had better keep it so I declined. The man introduced himself as Leon Dixon. I had subscribed to his newsletter Classic Bicycle and Whizzer News for years. Still have binders full of them...

Back