When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ingo bike find question.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

redline1968

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Picked this up a few hours ago. It sat in a Victorian home's basement since 1947. He got a flat going over the burnside bridge and did not want to spend the money replacing the wheels in 47 so the bike sat in the basement ever since. My question is what would be the date of manufacture on it.

What does it say on the headbadge? Here some info that might help, but the exact final production date is not noted.

Although several patents for eccentric-hub cycles exist from 1928 [1] [2] , the most popular incarnation was made from 1934 by brothers Phillip and Prescott Huyssen and called the "Exercycle" [3] . It was produced by the Ingersoll Steel & Disc Co. (a division of Borg-Warner Corp.), from 1934–1937, under the name "Ingo-bike". A large number of publicity events and promotions popularised the bike and a group of Ingo-bikers in the late 1930s traveled from Chicago to Miami in 30 days. Production ceased when the factory re-tooled to begin producing armaments prior to the Second World War. Phillip Huyssen continued designing variations until at least the 1970s. [4] In the Three Stooges movie Yes, We Have No Bonanza [5] , Curly rides up to a saloon bar on an Ingo-Bike.

Dave has a page on this also. http://www.nostalgic.net/the-incredible-ingo

Nice find. Can't belive the guy was too cheap to get tires for it...... in 1947 they would have been cheap. Today, they are not.

Thank you it's a berg warner badge. So I quess 34-37. Wow. Yea the guy said the shop wanted to change the wheels in stead of tires and the cost was too much at the time for him. Lol. I'm glad he didn't do it. They are a odd looking size now That look at them closely. I'll just preserve it then look for some or a good substitute. I wonder if cooker tires have some?

This model was the middle model produced about 1936 judging by the type of kickstand it has The frame members on the bottom will have a single bend towards the front. the later model has a kickstand made out of 1/2" formed rod and the frame underneath has a double bend instead of a single bend.

I have restored a few Ingo Bikes and re-spoked the wheels. I use a Park truinng stand with extensions I made to handle the 28" wheel and a metal plate along the each side at the bottom of the uprights to check the side to side alignment if the wheel, works great.

Wow thank you 1936 is cool.. I would freak out on doing the rear rim.. Don't even know where to begin. :0 !!
^

Back