When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Inherited an older (1950’s?) Spitfire

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I have a 1950 boys Spitfire that I trash-picked that was much more weathered than this. I started woking on the frame with intentions of a resto-mod. The bike got built up but the finish was never done although it still may be. But I will forever regret disturbing the original finish despite all its flaws. Notice I use the term "weathered" instead of "worse" here. For, good reason. It's part of the story and something you can never get back. Keep this girl original. There's plenty to work with here. And while it's usually never something I ever factor into a project I'm passionate about, just saying, this particular bicycle will likely never be worth more than what you put into it.
Can’t argue with this reasoning. I appreciate the perspective. Definitely food for thought. I think for now I’m going to work on all of the other parts of the bicycle and get them ready to reinstall for whenever I figure out what to do with the original painted pieces. I may just preserve as is and make it a rider and if I feel like taking the paint down and repainting I will at least always have that option available. I’m a very indecisive person, which is why my previous restorations always dealt with frames too far gone to be worth preserving. Just repaint! This one is different for me. Thanks again
Duh! Now, I see. Last entry on weeks most popular threads.
Yes this is another project that I’ve got on my plate. Thanks for referencing that thread, GTs58. That bike…yeah. Lots of thinking to do about how to approach it. It is a super cool bike, for sure. Feels like too many irons in the fire, right now though.

There is a sizeable faction here on CABE that are of the mind for bikes like this to "preserve the crust", i.e., lube it, make it safe, and ride it and leave the rest alone except for adding appropriate bling. I have a lot of respect for their sentiments and experience.

Whatever you do with her I hope you have fun and Happy Trails!

There is a sizeable faction here on CABE that are of the mind for bikes like this to "preserve the crust", i.e., lube it, make it safe, and ride it and leave the rest alone except for adding appropriate bling. I have a lot of respect for their sentiments and experience.

Whatever you do with her I hope you have fun and Happy Trails!
Thank you. I agree, to some extent. I’ve always been of the opinion that-for me at least- it’s all dependent upon the circumstances. I think with this bicycle, considering my end goal, I’m going to attempt to do just that and preserve what is here. If the end result is not to my liking I may decide to repaint it true to original spec and I won’t lose sleep over that decision. I’ll give it a chance, though. I’m only in my thirties but I’m finding that the older I get the less I want things to change. I suppose that I’ll keep that philosophy in mind when working on this project

Back