When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Inner tube preferences ...are you team original or team new?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

SJ_BIKER

Riding a 41 Super Deluxe
Some like to roll on all original bicycle components including inner tubes but is there an advantage to what inner tubes one uses. I typically just get what's available on old bikes that hold air and most often it's overseas made. Most old tubes generally don't hold air long. Valve stems innards typically are the issue. The old adage is you get what you pay for. So is there a tube that stands out from the rest in terms of low maintenance. I like to spend time riding and not swapping out problematic tubes. Post your experience in this area. Thanks..

Tubes are a pain.....I like to bring a pump when I purchase an old bike, blow up the tires if they will take it, and see what is left by the time I get home. I have a couple of tubes that are pushing close to 70 years and still holding air, but I am not riding those everyday. I will usually go to the LBS where I used to work over 25 years ago and give them some $$, tubes are not cheap. I read somewhere on here lately about running reinforced thorn proof tubes in old tires so as not to let the thin rubber work its way into a crack and cause a blow out. Those thorn proof tubes are almost like a tire by themselves, they are so thick, but that is a good tip. I used to ride on tubes with multiple glued on patches for miles, and miles off-road with no problems, but these sticky patches only seem to get me home and the tire will be flat by morning. I recently acquired a bike with air-less tires, muffintire.com, and it rides pretty well. The Muffin tires feel like they are just a little under inflated but they roll well, if they sold the tires by themselves I could find a bike or two to run them on. I might not service my bikes regularly but I do check the tire pressure and grab the pump before every ride. I like to add 5 psi to the maximum recommended pressure on the tire, and I always use a schraeder adapter for a presta valve, but thats just my preference. Cheers!

I ride a mix of old and new. If they hold air I ride em. My local hardware store sells goodyear tubes for $6. Not sure where they're made, I'd have to check the box. But, who cares, for six bucks, right!
Johnny

If nobody else is going to address the elephant in the room, I guess I'll do it. For those of you who run brand new thin Asian-made tubes, do they very slowly and mysteriously lose air? Almost as if the air was somehow leeching out through the rubber?

In the antique car world, everyone is complaining about it, and I don't know whether it is real, imagined, or just a misidentification of the problem.

I am using new tubes in my bikes. I generally run at the maximum pressure listed on the tire. It is winter here, so most days are not bike days. After a few days sitting, I have never yet found the tires to be still up at maximum pressure. I have had to put more air in every single time. The tubes have valve caps on tight, so it probably isn't leaky valve cores. Maybe it was just tepmperature and weather changes?

Are any of you running Stan's sealer (or something similar) in your inner tubes? How did that work out?

I like the thicker feel of the Walmart Goodyear HD tires. I have been debating going tubeless by using 1" Gorilla tape on the rim, then using a sealer & seeing if I can get the tire to inflate seat. I imagine temps dropping will lessen the psi, sitting on concrete (like being bad for batteries) and of course if you're not riding them regularly how long should they Really stay psi'd up?

The Goodyear HD’s from WM are a good blend of price and quality.. Originals seem to lose air faster.. I don’t mind
airing up the tires but friends and family sometimes take one of my bikes for a ride that I have at our family’s cottage and they don’t realize they need to add 5 or 10 #’s of air pressure..

Back