When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Inspiration for bicycle collectors!!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

39Rocket

Sheffer & Son Rocket Bikes
I’ve seen many people on here that have lost interest in the hobby for various reasons.
“Prices are too high now”
“The younger generation isn’t interested”
And many other reasons.

That’s very unfortunate! I am on the younger side of this hobby and I absolutely LOVE antique bikes!
Especially 1930’s bikes but I own everything from a high wheel to a stingray.

I’ll admit I often over pay to get what I want. But what I want is so rare and unusual that I may not get another chance to buy it for many years or never again. So I pay up.

I stopped bidding but I upped my bid one last time on the skylark just
1/2 hour before it ended. I know they don’t come up too often and although it was repainted YEARS ago it has a very cool look at least to me!
So I bought it.

Okay here is the inspiration to you all to keep collecting and searching!

The story on my skylark is that the man who sold it to me is neither a bicycle collector nor did he inherit the bicycle. He is an antique dealer who just happened to be traveling and noticed some unique furniture outside a “junk shop” while driving. So he stopped and was asking about the furniture which he bought. The shop owner said he was selling off stuff that had been put away 20+ years ago and just wanted to sell it cheap to get rid of.
So the man kept looking around and there was a row of junky rusty 1960’s -70’s middle weight bicycles. Complete junk! But then he spotted the skylark amongst the junky bikes! So he went and got the owner and said I’m interested in one bike over there. The owner said they are all the same price, your pick! The guy said you don’t care which one I buy? All the same price? Yep! Any of the bikes are $37.50 (odd price!) so he bought it and listed it on eBay where I bid it to win it!!
But so what? I’m happy I got it!!!

But I’ll be looking at junk shops in hopes a skylark, bluebird, or some other desirable bicycle is hiding with common junk bikes for a tiny little price, cents on the dollar and I too can have the buy of a lifetime! I’d keep it of course!
It’s unfortunate a collector didn’t find it who would keep it and tell the story minus the windfall, but so what? Antique dealers need to make a living too!
I say good for him! He knew nothing about old bikes but he knew the skylark was unique and had a very unusual design.

Keep searching! Keep collecting! The deals are still out there!
61935AAE-4368-4CC3-86D9-D7C531E77F7E.jpeg

I’m displaying the skylark next to my John Alexander ladies bike that also has 3 bars.
Maybe he copied off the skylark? I think so!

2FCC68D2-EA5A-4BA6-ABB4-1AB783CF3103.jpeg

My wife is crazy about these types of bikes. I’ve built her three different Schwinns. A 54 Starlet a 65 roadster and even a 41 Hollywood but it’s the crazy ornate multi colored over the top type bikes she loves. Just like yours. This picture was taken at Jamie’s annual event in Temecula Ca a couple of months ago.
She’s pointing at a Skylark 🤩
IMG_1109.jpeg

My wife is crazy about these types of bikes. I’ve built her three different Schwinns. A 54 Starlet a 65 roadster and even a 41 Hollywood but it’s the crazy ornate multi colored over the top type bikes she loves. Just like yours. This picture was taken at Jamie’s annual event in Temecula Ca a couple of months ago.
View attachment 1932449
Nice line up of bikes. Your Wife has good taste in bikes too.

View attachment 1932449

Wow lots of bluebirds, Robins, and skylarks and many other good ones! Those were all for sale?
Did she buy a skylark?

Wow lots of bluebirds, Robins, and skylarks and many other good ones! Those were all for sale?
Did she buy a skylark?
Jamie is a prolific collector of Elgins and Shelby’s. It really is an impressive collection when you get up close. I’ve seen a few of his bikes pop up for sale from time to time. These were for the show and swap meet. I think he sells a bike when he wants to fund one of his many vintage Volkswagen projects.

Back