When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Installing a Front Brake Speedometer Is A Quick Job Until You Start By Ray Spang

-

Goldenrod

I live for the CABE
Reprinted from the National Whizzer Newsletter

Installing a Front Brake Speedometer Is A Quick Job Until You Start

By Ray Spangler and Al Blum

You can’t massage your antique brain each time you need to use it. Some projects are like a slow-motion-drunk staggering, with tools. Positioning the speedo so that it doesn’t hit the tank is the first part of the challenge. Adjusting the bottom fiber wheel so that the cable will turn into the cage holes is next. The delicate fiber wheel seems to be designed as a “safety fuse” to save the other parts from lockup damage. Whizzering is not for the faint-of-heart but success is usually guaranteed by persistence and using the correct rare parts. I find honor in the quiet struggle to use working devices where they were made to be used, which is not on a shelf.

It must have been like that in caveman times: “Look at that wooly mammoth drinking from the stream. We must have some pointy sticks around here somewhere so let’s try and run down lunch. Ooge might remember how to make a fire if he hasn’t been eaten yet. Ladies like the smell of cooking meat. We might get lucky. I had a throwing rock right here but Junior must have moved it. Has everyone gone to the bathroom before we start? Zip up Fred and don’t drag your knuckles. This is a guy project. ”

Back