When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Installing Torrington cast stems[without breaking them]

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

the tinker

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
First of all don't do it on a cold [winter] day. Use a 7/8 "ths. open end wrench to tap in.Hold the wrench flat and even so the pressure will be distributed evenly on both sides of the opening.
DO NOT use a screw driver to "pre-open" the stem a bit. This puts too much pressure in one spot on the crown and it will crack. When using something to pry it apart before hand the aluminum casting must be "over" pried, to get it to the correct opening. This is when it breaks. By doing it as outlined above the stem only opens the exact amount to clear the cross brace. The flat wrench distributes the hammer blows .Reverse procedure for removing.
Also this is also the only way I remove grips. Those stubborn Schwinn grips that have welded themselves on to the bars. I place a hunk of tape over the sharp edges of an open end 7/8 wrench, so the chrome don't get scratched. three little taps and it's off, every time.
Notice that the stem shown is almost completely closed. It will only open the minimum amount it has too.
002.JPG
One other thing I have noticed from taking lots of bikes apart. Some fellows put stuff on Waaaaaay too tight. This stuff is old. Gotta go easy on it.:)

Last edited:
Much obliged for this one. Going to be doing that exact stem that you've got shown. P-A-T-I-E-N-C-E haha

One thing is that you have l, is the proper era correct Torrington handlebars as the spacer is the correct diameter so the bolt will not over pinch.

First of all don't do it on a cold [winter] day. Use a 7/8 "ths. open end wrench to tap in.Hold the wrench flat and even so the pressure will be distributed evenly on both sides of the opening.
DO NOT use a screw driver to "pre-open" the stem a bit. This puts too much pressure in one spot on the crown and it will crack. When using something to pry it apart before hand the aluminum casting must be "over" pried, to get it to the correct opening. This is when it breaks. By doing it as outlined above the stem only opens the exact amount to clear the cross brace. The flat wrench distributes the hammer blows .Reverse procedure for removing.
Also this is also the only way I remove grips. Those stubborn Schwinn grips that have welded themselves on to the bars. I place a hunk of tape over the sharp edges of an open end 7/8 wrench, so the chrome don't get scratched. three little taps and it's off, every time.
Notice that the stem shown is almost completely closed. It will only open the minimum amount it has too. View attachment 449201 One other thing I have noticed from taking lots of bikes apart. Some fellows put stuff on Waaaaaay too tight. This stuff is old. Gotta go easy on it.:)

Old thread but wanted to say thanks for outlining the process to get a Torrington Deco stem on/off bars. I just went thru this process and it was simple and effective. If only the PO of my senior braced bars would have known that instead of using a grinder to cut the stem off. :mad:

Back