When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interesting early Elgin bent seat tube

-

Glenn Rhein

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I picked up this pair of elgins yesterday From the original owner son, on the girls bike there is no badge and never was on the head tube.
There is a welded seam straight down the front of the head tube and welds on the back where it mounts to the tubes. They definitely are original and you can see really nice original maroon paint Underneath. The original colors of both bikes were maroon with cream fenders a really nice combination. The boys bike has a standard serial number the girls bike is different.Having owned a half a dozen of these girls bikes I’ve never seen this welding on the head tube and serial number stamped like that, any thoughts?

My men's Mercury Pacemaker has the same welds, I wish I had taken pictures while it was a part, but it has a head shroud that covers all of that. I think the ladies Pacemaker has more curves up front, so I'd guess yours was a Miss America model. I don't have any pictures at the moment of it, but I've not taken the head shroud off to look for the undressed welds either. I imagine they look just the same.

Back