When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Internet is worthlessss.. when were bike pedal reflectors first required in the USA?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
-
The Consumer Product Safety Act of 1972 is the reason that reflectors appeared on bicycles by law. I am not sure if that applied to products already in the distribution pipeline. I remember purchasing 2 Fuji S-10-S bikes in 1971 and neither had a reflector. Soon after 1972 front, rear, and pedal reflectors were required. As I recall, spoke reflectors were required a bit later.

I searched the internet for 16 CFR § 1512.16 Requirements for reflectors, under 16 CFR part 1512 Requirements for bicycles; under 16 CFR Subchapter C.
It appears that the 'current' regulation may have been codified Dec. 22, 1978; but under what authority (law?); hmmm, more on that later.
The reflector section was amended Dec. 16, 1980; relating to the then-new retro-reflective tires (or rims).

The Subchapter C, "Federal Hazardous Substances Regulations," states that it is "pursuant to and for the implementation of the Federal Hazardous Substances Act [of 1960] as amended" [by the Child Protection Act of 1966]. The CPSA set up a later "Commission" (CPSC), which happens to issue the regulations for these 3 laws (and others).
So, the law may treat bicycles as toys (hazardous substances) for children (under age 12); a bike "sold" to an adult or teenager may not need to comply(?).
However, local laws may require that "riders" comply with similar safety requirements, when driving on the street (or bike path).

I believe that the CPSA of 1972 applies to bicycle helmets (i.e., safety equipment); 16 CFR 1203, "Safety Standard for Bicycle Helmets".

Last edited:
16 CFR paragraphs 1512.16(a) and (e) refer to Pedal reflectors:

§ 1512.16 Requirements for reflectors.
"Bicycles shall be equipped with reflective devices to permit recognition and identification under illumination from motor vehicle headlamps".
(a) Front, rear, and pedal reflectors. "There shall be an essentially colorless front-facing reflector, essentially colorless or amber pedal reflectors, and a red rear-facing reflector.
(e) "Each pedal shall have reflectors located on the front and rear surfaces of the pedal.
"The reflector elements may be either integral with the construction of the pedal or mechanically attached, but shall be sufficiently recessed from the edge of the pedal, or of the reflector housing, to prevent contact of the reflector element with a flat surface placed in contact with the edge of the pedal".
(g) Reflector tests. "The pedal, front-mount, rear-mount, and side-mount reflectors shall be tested in accordance with the reflector test, § 1512.18(n), to assure the reflectance ...".

Bicycles, toys, and hazardous substances; how did that happen?

The Federal Hazardous Substances Act of 1960, was amended at various times. One amendment was the "Child Protection and Toy Safety Act of 1969".
That later law applied to "Any toy or other article intended for use by children which the Secretary by regulation determines, in accordance with section 3(e) of this Act, presents an electrical, mechanical, or thermal hazard."

I conducted more internet research on the Federal requirement in the U.S. It appears that the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) was the “responsible” regulator until the CPSC was stood-up on May 14, 1973; three commissioners had to be nominated, with routine FBI investigations about their partying as teenagers; confirmed by congress; and then to actually meet in D.C. However, on May 10, 1973, the FDA first proposed the Federal bicycle regulations, open to public comment (dealers, distributors, manufacturers, retailers, and their associations); 4 days later the CPSC took over, and hit the ground running.

Over a 14 months later, on July 16, 1974, the CPSC issued a final rule, but allowed almost 6 months before it went into effect as “adequate time for redesign and retooling”.

Bicycles (non-compliant ones) were added as Number 12 on the list of “Banned toys and other banned articles intended for use by children”.
(12) “Any bicycle ... that is introduced into interstate commerce on or after January 1, 1975, and that does not comply with the requirements...”.

Back