When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Intriguing frame ID

-

Schwinny

I live for the CABE
At 4lbs 14oz. It's most likely Columbus or 531
121mm rear spacing, standard BB
Simplex dropouts
24.5 x 22 measurements
No head badge holes and looks like it did have a cable guide under the BB

Who was making brazed lightweight frames?
It's pretty cool... And available.
It's going to the swap this weekend and I'd kinda like to know what it is
Any one got ideas or know for sure?

Sorry for a late reply since you might not have the frame at this point, but I found it interesting.
When you say "standard" BB; do you mean width (68mm) and/or threading (English)? Possibly French threads? My only frames that are fillet brazed are Mosers, but definitely not that marque, and I presume much older. What is the seat post size?.

-----

dropout model launched 1974

France does not do a great many fillet brazed, vs Britain for example

no guesses as to maker

serial placement and format a helpful clue for those who know

burgundy colour may also be a useful clue for the right pair of eyes

the two rivet remains in shell might be from a number plate rather than a cable guide mount

would think first order of business with an inquiry such as this would be to check tube diameters and threading

no fork is shown, is one included?

this is one of those cases where the low countries need to be kept in mind as a possible origin, at least until proven otherwise

-----

Yep,
The circle of life.
I got no messages on it, and no interest anywhere I posted it. Obviously a very high quality and unique frame, just for a quite tall person.
In the past year, doing the internet sales for the shop, I've found that quality without prestige goes in the trash. As in all hobbies and trades, if you take the name off it that gives the holder a perceived status, nobody will buy it but the scrappers and uninitiated.

If there is a question, anything I have ever posted, or will ever post, is for sale. Wether it's worth the shipping cost is a different dilemma.

-----

dropout model launched 1974

France does not do a great many fillet brazed, vs Britain for example

no guesses as to maker

serial placement and format a helpful clue for those who know

burgundy colour may also be a useful clue for the right pair of eyes

the two rivet remains in shell might be from a number plate rather than a cable guide mount

would think first order of business with an inquiry such as this would be to check tube diameters and threading

no fork is shown, is one included?

this is one of those cases where the low countries need to be kept in mind as a possible origin, at least until proven otherwise

-----

Thanks for the info @Schwinny . It would still be nice to figure out what is/was. It would be worth a couple bucks to me at scrap pricing; but as you say shipping is not worth it unless I could have grabbed it locally.

I had thought the remaining paint was primer, but who knows.
The open hole in the BB shell is larger than the head of the rivet in situ. I had assumed the hole was for drainage and the rivet was hardware for a missing guide. With all the numbering it seems odd to have a plate attached; and no obvious signs of cable guides brazed on top of BB shell unless removed prior. I doubt a clamp-on guide given top tube guides and shifter braze-ons, but obviously one cannot be sure (no chainstay stop?).
I have always thought that those Simplex drop-outs were quite stylish and attractive; but no idea when they were discontinued (circa early-mid 80s?).
I would think that a fork would have been shown if available. I assumed it was someone's unfinished project where a proper fork could not be found, be it cost and/or fit.

Back