When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Intro, and Hello... Plus a 59-61 Murray Sonic Flite to Restore.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

PtJudeRI

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Hi everyone, I just joined up here, and wanted to say hello and get my feet wet. I'm jumping onto this forum looking for some help and ideas restoring a Murray Sonic Flite that, like many have, came out of my Grandmother's basement. This was my father's bike, and is complete, and in pretty decent shape, despite some minor rust pitting and some grime on the paint. I am not looking at this bike for collectors value ( I haven't seen it as a sought after bike :confused: ) but rather to just have a cool retro ride to add to my current garage. I do have a few questions about the Logos/Decals/Paint job; The headlight; and the tail markers:

Here goes-

One of the main defects on the bike is the missing Murray lettering on the tank. Unlike the pinstriping on the bike, this seems to be all stickers... Any place to find replacements?? If not, I do some graphic design work, and I think I am going to make new ones... If it comes down to that, I'm gonna give the frame to a motorcycle shop for a new paint job, and then have stickers and striping redone to replicate the original look.

Headlight! Its a Delta Flight headlight with nice fins on it, mounted to the Fender, and has the lens still in it... If this is of Value, I may part this out, as I was going to gut it and build an LCD lens for it. Takers on the light?? Photos will follow in a day or so.

Tail Markers- These little reflectors are dying to be powered! Does anyone know of a site for building lights (LCD parts) to fit something like this? If not, I may part these out as well and replace them with motorcycle accent lights as well...

Lastly: Im looking to update the red saddle w/white trim to a similar looking modern construction saddle. I have looked at a few places, but red seems to be out of style. Is there anyplace you can recommend for me??

THanks for any help!!!

Ryan

Welcome Ryan! The Flite era Murrays are cool bikes, and starting to get noticed in the collector community. But, no repop parts or decals for them, yet. These days, you're basically out of luck on a modern red seat unless you have one recovered! (Or if Electra or Felt intro's a modern cruiser with one) Generally we recommend cleaning the original paint if possible, as it's onlt original once! But, since they made so many of these bikes, I don't think you'll upset anyone repainting it.

I can't help you on this one, but good luck with your build and post pics!

EDIT: Adam, you replied just before I did, so I would like to add that I am "restoring" (ok, really heavily cleaning) a 1961 Flite era Murray. It is a Meteor Flite to be exact. I'm going to resell it when I'm done. If you would like to see the progress, just go to General Discussion and look for a Meteor Flite build thread. I can probably pinpoint the eact year for yours if you post the serial number that is located on the rear dropout.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I will be getting over and taking a few shots of the bike tonite... As far as the new seat, thats a bummer... :( I do want a new saddle for the bike, so I will probably keep the old one for the original feel. I was surprised that the original tire and tubes are intact, and hold air. I washed the bike, inflated, and went for a spin... not too shabby, although the front hub does have a bit of play in it... I will try to post some photos asap.

Photos

IMG_0718..jpg
IMG_0713..jpg
IMG_0714..jpg
IMG_0708..jpg
IMG_0717..jpg
As promised, here are some photos of the bike as she currently stands. I think overall, it is in very nice condition, but as I have a touch of OCD, and I want my dad to get that twinkle in his eye, we are going all out here. Chrome parts to be re-chromed, Painted parts to be repainted, and I have begun to Vector all the pinstripe work on the bike. So here we go! May have to do this in two installments...

And now disassembled.

Attachments

• IMG_0726..jpg
    IMG_0726..jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_0724..jpg
    IMG_0724..jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_0725..jpg
    IMG_0725..jpg
    73 KB · Views: 271
OK, we would actually say don't repaint that, it's still in too good of shape! But, it's your bike...

Back