When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Intro, and Hello... Plus a 59-61 Murray Sonic Flite to Restore.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
And here is the first round of Graphics redos... I am going to simplify the chainguard a bit, and remove some of the white striping, and in its place, have white lettering in this more "Atomic" script. I think it has a certain swing to it... The Murray is a bit closer to the original, but I am eliminating the orange accent/shadow, and going with just white and gold.

Attachments

• MurrayLogos..jpg
    MurrayLogos..jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 176
Well, Im still debating on the paint.... but the chrome is a foregone conclusion....

It'll be much cheaper to replace parts like the bars, stem, crank, chainring, and rims than replate them. -Unless you have a friend w/a plating shop!! :D

So much of that paint is still nice...I'll be sick a little bit, but it is your project after all.

PtJudeRI, I don't know if this is somethinhg you want to finish quick or make money on, or what, but finding the exact, correct part for a Classic BICYCLE, is VERY DIFFICULT. It can be a long process, so if you want to just finish the restoration and get on it and ride, I suggest you have all the parts cleaned, and sent to a chrome plater. Want to replace them? You may be sitting for a while. Bikes aren't cars, thousands of people still crush them in a scrap yard every day making parts near impossuible to find.

nice, i would never redo one in that condition ive put much worse bikes in local parades thats a real nice survivor...

I concur Paint looks good. I surfed Pt Judith back in the 70,s took a long road trip. Matunick as well! Ankle slapper waves.

Nice bikes those late 50s early 60s Murrays. My wife and I bought a set of these some years back to use as riders. My wife is on the blue Astroflite (second from left) and my neighbor is on the red Stratoflyte (third from right). I'm on the Jaguar. Every so often, we'll take the Murrays on a ride through town and always get a "thumbs up" from someone who appreciates the "space age" look. Also, for what it's worth, I'd agree that your bike looks too nice to repaint. Ride and enjoy!

Attachments

• SVCA.jpg
    SVCA.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 236
the third bike from the right looks like an Astro Flite by Murray. i have one of those but i need the lenses covering the light bulbs. know where i can find any? thanks.

the third bike from the right looks like an Astro Flite by Murray. i have one of those but i need the lenses covering the light bulbs. know where i can find any? thanks.

The third bike from the right is Identified on the chain guard as a Strato Flite, however, aside from the colors, and the fact that one is a men's bike and one is a ladies, the bikes are identical. Both have the same dual headlight and lens. They also both have the "flying saucer" tail light on the rear carrier which can't be seen in the picture. I don't know where you can find a lens right now, but I'll keep a lookout. It's one of those parts that shouldn't be too expensive when you find it. The problem is finding it. It's pretty fragile, so I imagine not many survived.

Hi,That's a sweet original bike. You NEVER find vintage Murrays in that shape. Your bike, but it would be a shame to lose that nice original paint and graphics,not to mention the bike will be worth less repainted than original. It's kinda' like cleaning an old gun or silver,YOU JUST DON"T DO IT. My $.02......P.S. If you decide to just clean and reassemle it,DON"T USE WINDEX!! It will remove and or ruin any silk screens instantly. I learned that lesson the hard way on a nice '64 Schwinn Racer chainguard.

Pat

Last edited:
Back