When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Invention to spread Schwinn fork springs

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Goldenrod

I live for the CABE
Whizzers have heavy duty springs. This is a solution. Note: piece in between springs. Tie wrap is

for safety.

Are you trying to pull the spring further apart or compress it more? Seems like stretching it would only make it stiffer when reinstalled.

Are you trying to pull the spring further apart or compress it more? Seems like stretching it would only make it stiffer when reinstalled.

Goldenrod can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that is the whole point of stretching out the spring in an effort to make it stiffer. A heavier spring rate is needed for adults and Whizzers.

Last edited:
Goldenrod said Whizzers have HD Springs and this a solution. A solution to make them even more stiff?

I have taken a lot of springer forks apart but I'll admit, I'm completely clueless as to what the desired result is here.

I have taken a lot of springer forks apart but I'll admit, I'm completely clueless as to what the desired result is here.

Memory Lane used to have the heavy duty springs for the Whizzers but obviously they aren't in business any longer and they're hard to find now. You can find the regular springs in Craig's eBay store but they're not the heavy duty units. Stretching the spring will give you a somewhat stiffer spring although that wasn't conveyed in the OP's text.

What is the gauge or diameter of a HD Whizzer spring vs a traditional fork spring.

I understand their are 2 types of springs, one with the threaded member inside and the later design that doesn't.

Some of the 50's Springs are weak or lost tensile strength. A phenomenon called: Spring fatigue. I have 2 55's, a Phantom and Deluxe Green Hornet, that a good even stretch would help. And I'd put odds that plenty cheap A. China springs, for poor tempering and or carbon mixture, require re-stretching regularly.

Albeit, Unless The steel is tempered after stretch, it would return, eventually, to previous relaxed or worse position and or increase potential for crack or break. . In the least, to temper it again, you would need the entire spring glowing red hot ( expanded which would destroy the chrome) and then quick cooled. (shrunk, Chrome flakes off)

A spring is only as good as its temper is or was. . I'd over stretch a fork spring a bit and prob. be fine but wouldn't expect a life time warranty.

Last edited:
Back