When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is ‘D’ for Dayton, Davis or Davidson?

-

mikecuda

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Here is my bike frame I just dug out. Is it a Dayton or Davis. Let's talk about it. Skiptooth chain still attached and rear adjuster still in frame. I did not try a 28" wheel on it. Cooling off outside quick.

DSCN5903.JPG

DSCN5904.JPG

DSCN5905.JPG

DSCN5906.JPG

DSCN5907.JPG

DSCN5908.JPG

DSCN5909.JPG

Last edited:
D might designate the year if it's Westfield. I probably suggested this in t other thread where you posted this question. The collared lug under the seat post and the way the rear chain stays are finished are Westfield indicators. The chain stays on your frame also pinch in at the top near the seat post as well. I only know this because I have a Westfield Motorbike frame. Unfortunately my serial number letter is badly stamped and indecipherable. Must have been stamped on Friday after the three beer lunch.;)

Best of luck on your search for answers.

Hi @mikecuda

I can confirm it's a Westfield frame, D =1926 (D upside down!). The date letter being larger than the numbers is one of the indicators at this time.

Here's another 1926, very close to yours in build date, and you can compare the serial number format to confirm.

Best Regards,

Adrian

...and like was said before if your're going to build a HD this would be the wrong frame. You could build an Indian with a chain ring and badge. V/r Shawn

Hi @gkeep

Your Westfield number is almost undoubtedly an E = 1927. Unlike the 'upside down D' above, which possibly could have been alcohol induced (-:, your's is a problem of stamping on to a curved surface. I don't have any examples this early to show you, but the next time Westfield ran through these date letters, E's often come out like a T on it's side. They tend to ensure that F is stamped so that the top shows better, so sometimes this looks like three sides of a square, and the tail is missing.

The E tends to have all three horizontal strokes the same length, and the F the centre horizontal stroke is shorter than the upper one.

I think this is why Westfield eventually moved the stamping to the rear dropout, in order to be working on flat steel. Bikes have a lot of curves (-:

Best Regards,

Adrian

Hi @gkeep

Your Westfield number is almost undoubtedly an E = 1927. Unlike the 'upside down D' above, which possibly could have been alcohol induced (-:, your's is a problem of stamping on to a curved surface. I don't have any examples this early to show you, but the next time Westfield ran through these date letters, E's often come out like a T on it's side. They tend to ensure that F is stamped so that the top shows better, so sometimes this looks like three sides of a square, and the tail is missing.

The E tends to have all three horizontal strokes the same length, and the F the centre horizontal stroke is shorter than the upper one.

I think this is why Westfield eventually moved the stamping to the rear dropout, in order to be working on flat steel. Bikes have a lot of curves (-:

Best Regards,

Adrian
My though exactly. I figured either a badly struck B, E or F, possibly even and H. I have a couple sets of steel stamps. maybe I should have a couple beers and do some experiments on some old steel pipe. :D

Back