When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it necessary to rinse after OA bath?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Coalfield

Finally riding a big boys bike
Treated a 1972 lugged steel R531 frame (Holdsworth) in an oxalic acid solution last night. No external rust on frame, but brass brushing inside tubes from the bb area resulted in some 'rust dust' and a few small bits, so I decided to try the oa bath only to a depth of 2" submerging the bb and chainstays and slightly into dt & st.

This morning I drained the oa, wiped the areas I could - liked the result and was getting ready to rinse when the phone rang. Important matters pulled me away. The frame has now been 12 hours sitting in the sun. The solution was 2 tablespoons of pure oa powder per gallon of water.

I can rinse but would rather not, unless necessary. The yellow film of residue easily wiped off places that could be reached with a cloth.

Would you rinse?

Treated a 1972 lugged steel R531 frame (Holdsworth) in an oxalic acid solution last night. No external rust on frame, but brass brushing inside tubes from the bb area resulted in some 'rust dust' and a few small bits, so I decided to try the oa bath only to a depth of 2" submerging the bb and chainstays and slightly into dt & st.

This morning I drained the oa, wiped the areas I could - liked the result and was getting ready to rinse when the phone rang. Important matters pulled me away. The frame has now been 12 hours sitting in the sun. The solution was 2 tablespoons of pure oa powder per gallon of water.

I can rinse but would rather not, unless necessary. The yellow film of residue easily wiped off places that could be reached with a cloth.

Would you rinse?
Yes.....

I'd give it a good soap and water rinse, blow it out, and let it bake in the sun for a while.

Rinsed with a baking soda solution, then flushed well with water. Currently sitting in the sun.
Thank you for the replies.
I think a few drops of linseed oil in each chain stay is a good idea since that is where much of the rust dust came from and visual inspection impossible. The frame is orange and the deep orange that I saw in the main tubes was paint and grime. I was surprised at how much paint was inside the bb area, top of seat tube, and head tube. Early 70s production by a big manufacturer must have emphasized speed in the paint shop.

Last edited:
Soap and water is fine, baking soda and water is fine, plain water can work, WD-40 and wipe can work, Windex and wipe can work as well. The idea is just to get that yellow film off. Lots of ways to do it, depending on how much you have. Sounds like you should be fine.

Back