When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it the addiction or just a common sense good investment.

-
I went to the lakeside neighborhood yard sales in the next town over, when I drove thru I saw the normal yard sale stuff. If I saw a bike I would stop and look, now this part I don't understand, the place is packed and nobody bought this bike priced at $5 so I did, it's a Windsor 10 speed in really good shape, she said it was bought in the 80s and just hung in the garage. Loaded it and rode around and seen another bike so I stopped, another $5 bike, its a Ross in nice shape so I bought it, from the 80s I think,, now I don't need or really like these bikes but I can't resist the $5 deal. I can't figure out if it's the good deals or the sickness I have. The Ross has the shifter coming out of the coaster brake side and not the cog side like I've always seen. I knocked the dust off and they both look like great investments. Would anyone else pass on a $5 bike, for some reason I can't. Apparently people around here don't need $5 bikes.

View attachment 1659982

View attachment 1659983

View attachment 1659984

View attachment 1659985

View attachment 1659986

View attachment 1659987

View attachment 1659988

View attachment 1659989

View attachment 1659990

View attachment 1659991

View attachment 1659992

View attachment 1659993
its the thrill of the hunt.i have been buying and selling bikes since the early 1970's.and the past few years ive stepped up my game buying and selling alot of bikes.i usually look for unique things but if i see even a few dollars to be made flipping a bike i usually go for it.i have maybe 15 bikes in storage that i really love but also maybe 45/50 that are parts and fixers and every day riders.it is an addiction i keep saying no more bikes.but then i sell one and end up buying another sometimes more.

Why don't I get bikes for $5? 😄 I haven't seen one anywhere, you're lucky.

No no. In 50 years they will be antiques, we should buy them :)
around my area (rochester ny) that Ross would bring 50 to 150.00 depending on time of year.
Not as a collectors item but a good every day rider.
old people like the 3 speeds and the security of a coaster brake

...old bicycles are not a real good investment strategy. I have a bunch of them, and they keep me entertained as a hobby, and are probably less wasteful than alcoholism. But whoever wrote that about Craigslist being a tough sell right now is on the money. People who think nothing of spending 700 bucks for something not all that well constructed, but brand new, think every bicycle on CL should be worth a hundred bucks.

And the user group for downtube shifters has rapidly diminished, for some reason I don't understand.

If the supply chain for new junk takes another solid hit, this might change. But I'm not looking forward to selling off my collection of higher end road bikes when I get too old to ride them any more. 😥

I went to the lakeside neighborhood yard sales in the next town over, when I drove thru I saw the normal yard sale stuff. If I saw a bike I would stop and look, now this part I don't understand, the place is packed and nobody bought this bike priced at $5 so I did, it's a Windsor 10 speed in really good shape, she said it was bought in the 80s and just hung in the garage. Loaded it and rode around and seen another bike so I stopped, another $5 bike, its a Ross in nice shape so I bought it, from the 80s I think,, now I don't need or really like these bikes but I can't resist the $5 deal. I can't figure out if it's the good deals or the sickness I have. The Ross has the shifter coming out of the coaster brake side and not the cog side like I've always seen. I knocked the dust off and they both look like great investments. Would anyone else pass on a $5 bike, for some reason I can't. Apparently people around here don't need $5 bikes.

View attachment 1659982

View attachment 1659983

View attachment 1659984

View attachment 1659985

View attachment 1659986

View attachment 1659987

View attachment 1659988

View attachment 1659989

View attachment 1659990

View attachment 1659991

View attachment 1659992

View attachment 1659993
Don’t sweat it..try this.. put a basket on it .. maybe some flower stickers and sell it to the local freshman co ed. see if you can get 125$ gas is high and alot of freshmen don’t yet own cars! Try to have many to pick from in the 125$ pile…bright colors with basket sell first! Bill in bama… roll tide! Freshman students can get 125$

Last edited:
If I cared about "investments" I wouldn't be buying the rustiest, crustiest bikes I could find. I just do what makes me happy i guess. Im currently building a bike that most folks said "I wouldn't give 20 for it" or "it would make a good wall hanger".

Now this is not a "dig" at people who buy for investments...Im all for doing whatever makes you happy and if buying for a future investment is what gets your rocks off, rock on and do you.

A guy stopped over and wanted to buy a couple cheep bikes so I sold him 2 $5 bikes for $50 each, then a few days later he stopped back and said he resold them and wanted to buy a few more so I sold him another $5 bike for $50 and that Typhoon I just got for $175. I hope he stops again and buys 10 more.

Back