When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is my B-607 a 1946 model?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
@GTs58 has been pointing out some of the oddities that show up in the late-war and early post-war bikes, kickstand lugs mounted closer to right angles, odd-looking chain-stay to bottom bracket welds and tubular braces between the seat stays. And even after the war-time restrictions were lifted, it probably took a while before everything was readily available again, but your bike looks like it has mostly standard post-war features, as far as I can tell. 1946 is as good a guess as any.
Check out this thread:

Last edited:
Thanks for the link! I read through the entire thread. Very interesting read and great information! Mine does not have the BB EF joints close to the shell, the 25/30 deg angle kickstand shell or the tubular seatstay bridge . It does have a low "B" serial number: B06439.

Based on the information that was around in the late 90's when I bought the bike, it seemed to fit the criteria for a 1946 model. I figure, at the latest, it's a 1947. The pencil kickstands were used in 1947, not just 1945-46, on the heavyweights.

What was the latest the oversized Delta horn button appeared?

Thanks for the link! I read through the entire thread. Very interesting read and great information! Mine does not have the BB EF joints close to the shell, the 25/30 deg angle kickstand shell or the tubular seatstay bridge . It does have a low "B" serial number: B06439.

Based on the information that was around in the late 90's when I bought the bike, it seemed to fit the criteria for a 1946 model. I figure, at the latest, it's a 1947. The pencil kickstands were used in 1947, not just 1945-46, on the heavyweights.

What was the latest the oversized Delta horn button appeared?

One thing I've learned researching these early post war Schwinns is the serial numbers do not mean a thing. The preceding letters were used in multiple years, and I can't figure out how anyone has been able to place a date on any of these early bikes. They've been guessing for the most part. Your B6 has the later rear carrier back clamping plate that is longer and curves upwards around the seat stays. The earlier 1946 pieces were flat and many call them the band aid bracket. Here is a high B serial number, B79891 and the chain stays appear to be rammed into the bottom bracket shell. Pressure and heat deformed the shell as the weld was being done. This bike also has blackout parts. To move the weld mating surface out from the BB shell, the shell has to be modified with a longer mating nub. So a new shell has to be used because the nubs were stamped into the plate before they were rolled and welded together. Fun stuff!

1669170729726.png

1669170757257.png

1669170788557.png

Thanks for the info! I've seen a lot of Schwinn frames over the years but never a chainstay / BB joint like that one. A lot of these early postwar characteristics are easily overlooked by all but the most observant among us. However, it's good to see them documented here. I know more about postwar Schwinns than I did a day ago.😁

As I understand it, D and E serial numbers were used in 1948 and the S-2 tubular rim appeared in 1948. With a "B" serial, drop centers, and the pencil stand, would I be correct in assuming my bike is pre-1948?

Back