When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Sekine worth fixing up?

-

Cranky Chain Cycles

Finally riding a big boys bike
The owner of this Sekine seems motivated to sell. However, I don’t know if I can overhaul and flip it. If it were a Schwinn I would have bought it weeks ago. I’ve heard good things about them but I don’t know if I can convince buyers that a Canadian-made Japanese early 70s import is worth opening their wallet for, even if it’s stunning.

34152163acbc283d4352b7b6cfb27a37.jpg

0591e70ed749b6250a60e0935a1d0237.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good gawd! Look how low down those down tube shifters are on that huge frame!!!!!! Just that brain fart design alone says forget it to me.

Even though I could probably get it for under $50 it doesn’t bode well that I’m trying to talk myself into it. However, I sold a $20 Hercules for $225 so obscurity doesn’t matter too much.

I doubt those shifter bosses are brazed on, probably clamp on. Longer shift cables, and you can put it right.

So next thing is how’s the quality? Forged dropouts with adjusters and hangar, or does it have a claw? Decent components? I think in that condition any Japanese framed bike is worthwhile, but if you want to make money, spend your time on quality stuff.

Oh, and there’s an extensive thread on Bike Forums titled “bike flipping 101” or something close to that. It’s worth a look if you have the time.

$50 or less? Right now there is a bike shortage in New York and other parts of the U.S. Decent working bikes that are reasonably priced are gone within hours. Great time to thin the herd of poorly fitting frames, and bikes that don't thrill you. Trying to find something cheap and nice, though, isn't easy. Me? That Sekine is my size, and it looks super crazy nice for the price. As said, try longer shifter cables. Use the rear cable on the front, plus one new one for the rear.

$50 or less? Right now there is a bike shortage in New York and other parts of the U.S. Decent working bikes that are reasonably priced are gone within hours. Great time to thin the herd of poorly fitting frames, and bikes that don't thrill you. Trying to find something cheap and nice, though, isn't easy. Me? That Sekine is my size, and it looks super crazy nice for the price. As said, try longer shifter cables. Use the rear cable on the front, plus one new one for the rear.

If it’s gone within hours it’s priced too low.

Sekine is good brand and worth a lot more than $50. Like @Blackbomber said, the shifters are banded and moved lower on the down tube.

Back