When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is the hobby dying again?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
People deep in the hobby want parts and if it is a needed part like cant live without need..itll sell and fast. As for the next generation of potential hobbyists....i think its tough to hold their attention with so many distractions out in the internet world.
We live in a short attention span vortex that i dont see getting any better. However the bike shows and ride meets still can be effective to spread awareness and for peets sake have a non bike person or kids ride the bikes just for kicks so they can experience the joy of pure fun we get and it can only get better after that.

THIS segment of bike collecting is slowed down. The hot money maker is BMX bikes.These are the bikes younger people grew up with.Just look at the sales section.More 60's and newer bikes popping up.Seems a new younger generation is now growing and many have no interest in the older ballooners,etc. we have. just go to a BMX show and look at the prices. They are through the roof. The hobby is evolving.I remember when high wheels were the thing but not so much anymore.

As a frequent buyer/seller/flipper/collector/restorer...
It is indeed the worst it has ever been in my over 40 years goofing with these old bikes
I love the balloon stuff and have focused mostly on Schwinn which I always thought
was fail safe. Market has indeed tanked and it's really discouraging.
Currently working on several nice restorations to offer publicly and
reaaaaalllly wondering if anyone cares any more about this stuff...
at least at the levels historically that have been sound.
As long as it's a hobby, have fun with it. Think twice about
making a business or even part time job.
Many millennials and younger could give give a rats @ss about vintage goods.
I grew up flipping mid century modern stuff and vintage bikes as
a good side gig most of my life... I don't even look at cool 50's kitch'
anymore...no one cares. They just buy Ikea and throw it out in 2 years.
don't get me started on electric bikes and other such lazy endeavors
regarding cycling...
ah well... was fun while it lasted.
Encourage people to get involved in the hobby...
Vintage bikes are green...not coming out of chinese factories etc....
recycled style. Should be all the rage.
again..
go figure.
blowwws

....I might add... rare and exotic stuff seems to be doing ok...established collectors
buying, selling and trading...
it's the entry level, the at one time 'bread and butter' market ...that is slowly fading..
the more common balloon parts are a tough sell.

297.jpg

Reading this reminds me of a story I have told Bob many times. Back in the early 90s my buddy and I happened upon a vintage bike meet in our town that was attended by some of the legends of the hobby from that era. They were just as into our vintage and dusty canyon/fire road runners as we were into their Aerocycles, TOCs, etc. The one thing I remembered most about those discussions were "The hobby is dying" and "younger folks like you aren't interested in these things, we need more of you". This concern seems to have been expressed by many a collector/hobbyist over the years but I see new people come in, old ones come back, and others take a break or cash out entirely. All seems pretty normal to me.

The traditional venues for the hobby may be "dying", but I think this is just an evolution of how it works because interwebs. There are so many more bikes out there than we can imagine, both in existing collections and waiting to be found. Time will eventually provide the supply to reinvigorate the hobby.

the sky isn't falling, perhaps it is more similar to how the housing market was in 2005, artificially inflated prices. Maybe in reality that $200 head badge is really only worth $50.

I see a lot of people who really just get bikes to tear them apart and make money off of them.

I have 5 projects in que, all of them need a couple of parts, and I am not planning on dying anytime soon, so if and when the parts show up, at a decent price point, I will get them. The reality is though, if you have a bike that is only ever going to be worth $500, and all you are missing is a drop stand, it is hard to suck it up and lay out $100 to 150 for a drop stand.

Yet some folks still score a complete bike for 100 and turn the parts into 1,000. If that is how you make your living, more power to you.

I make my living in construction, we are always asked to 'lower' our prices to get projects. Sometimes we do, sometimes we don't. I do know that for the last 15 years we do lower more often than not. More volume still leads to a profit margin.

Bicycles on the other hand, are a hobby for me. I have the ones that I really enjoy, and when I get a good deal on a complete bike that I don't want, I pass that on. I am not in it for a profit, I am in it because I love to ride old bikes.

I've noticed that the 20'' Schwinn bikes are off the charts ! I was heavy into bikes in the 80's, then dropped out in till now and caught the bug again , prices has allot to do with it! prices are so high now compared to the 80's.:rolleyes:

Bmx bike prices are strange to me. I grew up reading BMX plus as a teen. The catalog then had complete bikes ranging from 1000 to 2500. And prices are just the same now sooo id say they didnt increase in value? If you bought that 2500.00 bike back in the 80s and sell it for 2500.00 now....i dunno. The bmx world did see some really neat geometry on certain frames and real nice components.

Back