When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is the hobby dying again?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I started collecting in the 1980,s, it was hot then, fun, and most finds were original bikes, now its changed repro bikes, repro parts, the foreign influence, and many people buying bikes and breaking them down and selling them on ebay.....in it for the money....that's ok, but I'm a purest like that original bike rustic or ruff it's still original....as I look at bikes now ....its really changed sad but true..many of the old collectors i knew are dying off and bikes are being passed down, then what....dont know.....all this said I'm a person who loves old bikes and always will and I sometime run into a collector who feels the way I do....then I'm stimulated by that......I'm in Arizona, wish I were closer to where stuff, shows and swaps are happening like the mid west or east coast... my concern is when the economy collapses in next year or so .....how will the hobby be then. Keith.

You couldn’t put it any better.. things are “deflating” for sure...rare bikes is king but it’s starting to drop in prices.. Ive watched the market for many years in dealing with antiques and collectibles and I see a big change in direction. Sales are dropping as interests for “ acquiring things” don’t mean anything to the newer generation. When I grew up you didn’t have Internet , cell phones and electric devices to entertain .... you had basic TV and models...played with toys ..rode bikes and collected things to pass the time..with advent of the Internet and all has changed... the type of kids today are mostly interested in vintage clothing and traveling are the new trend. I hate being a pesamist but it looks like it’s here to stay...this trend goes strait across the board including classic cars... automobilia I’ve watched my “ junk” I’ve collected go down in price. Lol.
As a frequent buyer/seller/flipper/collector/restorer...
It is indeed the worst it has ever been in my over 40 years goofing with these old bikes
I love the balloon stuff and have focused mostly on Schwinn which I always thought
was fail safe. Market has indeed tanked and it's really discouraging.
Currently working on several nice restorations to offer publicly and
reaaaaalllly wondering if anyone cares any more about this stuff...
at least at the levels historically that have been sound.
As long as it's a hobby, have fun with it. Think twice about
making a business or even part time job.
Many millennials and younger could give give a rats @ss about vintage goods.
I grew up flipping mid century modern stuff and vintage bikes as
a good side gig most of my life... I don't even look at cool 50's kitch'
anymore...no one cares. They just buy Ikea and throw it out in 2 years.
don't get me started on electric bikes and other such lazy endeavors
regarding cycling...
ah well... was fun while it lasted.
Encourage people to get involved in the hobby...
Vintage bikes are green...not coming out of chinese factories etc....
recycled style. Should be all the rage.
again..
go figure.
blowwws

....I might add... rare and exotic stuff seems to be doing ok...established collectors
buying, selling and trading...
it's the entry level, the at one time 'bread and butter' market ...that is slowly fading..
the more common balloon parts are a tough sell.

I think the ultra-high end exotic bikes are still doing well. What I've seen going down are more the mid-level type bikes. BMX has become much more collectible, vintage mtn bikes are headed there too. English bikes went up and now are headed back down.

One thing that I've seen happen is companies bringing and array of modern "retro" themed bikes. When I lived in the DC area, the number of new "retro" bikes went crazy. At the same time, I saw the value of vintage bikes in that area go up and then down, at least for the mid-level classics.

I don't have a lot of confidence in bikes as a long-term investment. It's a great hobby, but not a great way to make a living or to invest for-profit. I'm happy with my array of $100 Raleighs.

The relative lack of interest in having a lot of "stuff" among younger people, combined with student debt, has reduced demand among the younger segment for now. There are always exceptions, but this has been what I've observed. I know a number of people who collected antique furniture - stuff back to the 1700s. The market for antique furniture is in free fall. I know of a couple people who bought into that stuff in the 1970s-90s era, and now their estates (people have passed) are selling those pieces at cut rate. There's no one to replace the old collectors of antique furniture dying off.

I have some great bmx, and early mountain bikes , not boasting , ! I just thought years ago there would be a time for them , . I live near a bmx track , it is easy to find nice examples , from families who have been involved since the beginning . , i have not sold very much of that kind of stuff , . I tried to stick with antique bikes , and I can report , that it has really changed . I still search ,all the time and everywhere I go ,

It go's up and down. You only notice when it's down, just like stock market watchers. Stuff reaches the stratosphere in cost, and as soon as it drops a little, everyone thinks it's crashing, just like the stock market. See a pattern ? That's why you hang in, have fun and buy when the stuff's affordable. Sell when it goes up if you need the money. Just can't assume everything you invest in will double in value. I guarantee in our hobby if bikes like Aero Cycles and Wing Bars were to come down to let's say a grand or two in value, they would go right back up quick as everybody would clamer to own one. Quality and classic items will always hold value, just sometimes the market corrects or as a new generation get's interested it takes a while for them to figure out where their money and interest is best invested. That's my ramble and I approved it !

I restore and mod what I want, and if it sells, great. If not, then I try to apply the wisdom that in perhaps twenty years it will be worth a fortune. How many of you wrinkled up your noses at "old junkers" in the 1970's (like I did), and wished you hadn't done that! How many of you ignored early-80's BMX as a stupid kid's fad (like I did)?

Then again if I saved everything, my house and property would look like a hoarder nightmare.

I flip a few bikes and parts tend to keep the odd stuff have been thinking of a major sale to fund another hobby but probably won’t. I believe here in Midwest hobby is seasonally affected with slow season commencing now lasting until the Haysville KS swap in April. Wish I liked bmx stuff but I just walk on by bout the same with muscle stuff.

I think it’s dying and who knows if it’ll come back.

How many young folks give a dang about vintage Schwinns? Coupled with an impending massive economic slowdown, I think @#%! will hit the fan for classic bike pricing in coming years.

But hey, there’s a bright side, maybe I can afford that Super Deluxe Stingray now!

Last edited:
Back