When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is the hobby dying again?

-
I would just like to make a couple more quick points. Our society has always leaned toward a doomsday obsession. And recessions always start with someone predicting one, so everyone hangs onto their money. It's like the big freeway slowdown because everybody is reading an alert sign. And that sign says "clear ahead". So why did everyone slow down? And young generation not getting into hobbies. Depends on what you consider "young". Yeh I don't see many twenty five year olds at car swaps with wads of money. But I do see the thirty somethings that use to be the twenty guys there buying and building cars and their wives starting to dig mid century home furnishings. There's a point in your life where you figure out what is really cool and want to be part of it. "Bmx's are big because that's what they rode as a kid". Sure but also they haven't reached the outer limits on price.Finally, I may be old, but how many of you are into prewar art deco balloon bikes because that's what you rode as a kid, or like 32 coups because you bought one new. Get it ?

So I know I've been out of bicycles for quite a while but, it's come to my attention that prices have gone down in parts also the demand has too so I'm just wondering why that is. Has everybody found the parts they've been looking for? Have people moved on to different eras instead of art deco? I'm curious to see what everyone else thinks.

Nick.
I think it has more to do with the supply and demand aspect. Also it has a lot to do with what the market will bear. Most times i have found it has to do with what people are willing to pay. Hope this helps. Ride On. Razin.

As a frequent buyer/seller/flipper/collector/restorer...
It is indeed the worst it has ever been in my over 40 years goofing with these old bikes
I love the balloon stuff and have focused mostly on Schwinn which I always thought
was fail safe. Market has indeed tanked and it's really discouraging.
Currently working on several nice restorations to offer publicly and
reaaaaalllly wondering if anyone cares any more about this stuff...
at least at the levels historically that have been sound.
As long as it's a hobby, have fun with it. Think twice about
making a business or even part time job.
Many millennials and younger could give give a rats @ss about vintage goods.
I grew up flipping mid century modern stuff and vintage bikes as
a good side gig most of my life... I don't even look at cool 50's kitch'
anymore...no one cares. They just buy Ikea and throw it out in 2 years.
don't get me started on electric bikes and other such lazy endeavors
regarding cycling...
ah well... was fun while it lasted.
Encourage people to get involved in the hobby...
Vintage bikes are green...not coming out of chinese factories etc....
recycled style. Should be all the rage.
again..
go figure.
blowwws

....I might add... rare and exotic stuff seems to be doing ok...established collectors
buying, selling and trading...
it's the entry level, the at one time 'bread and butter' market ...that is slowly fading..
the more common balloon parts are a tough sell.
Hello Bob I always ride & collect vintage bikes! What I noticed are the prices changed someone buy a garage sale for $100 and wants a $1000 ! Now the bmx are back but very high prices! I continues whit my schwinn cycle trucks & balloons take care!

There are more bikes in need of collecting then there are collectors? They are not making old bikes so the number is fixed. What we need is shows and newspaper stories and more people on the CABE. I show Whizzers during all seasons. I got myself and our club into the newspaper 7 times . I got our Whizzer Club on TV 6 times. Now the internet repeats these programs to those who Google them. The CABE uses technology well. We are having a world discussion right now. Parts can be gotten easily on Ebay.. Information is just a few CABE clicks away. There has been some talk of money on this post but it is the joy of sharing and improvement that I see. Where can I find this large a number of fun loving smart asses like myself? Only here. Are numbers more important than quality?

Back