When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is the old bike hobby growing or will it die out?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
i've only been collecting for about 4 years and from what i can tell prices have at least doubled, its hard to to figure out wether thats due to alot more people getting into the hobby or just fewer bikes offered or a combo of both, but generally speaking i think alot more younger people are collecting as its so easy to get into the hobby now with all the different outlets to either buy or discuss old bicycles or even simply observe that people actually collect them as a hobby, for some it will be a fad or something they get in & out of several times through out their lives, for others this hobby is just one of many and may not be their main hobby, others grow old and pass away ... will the hobby be replenished with new blood ? only time will tell but i strongly feel this will always be a solid hobby, as far as prices go even if the amount of the new blood levels off or even drops i dont see prices dropping drastically, there are only so many antique/vintage bicycles out there to be found & some wont be found as they lay hidden half buried in the field or whatever or end up at the scrap yard, out of all the bicycles we currently own & collect one of them gets repainted or parted out everyday dwindling down the stock so long term this will balance out the market should there be a lack of new collectors

then again i only have 4 years experience where as a long time collector who has watched the hobby evolve would be in a much better position to make predictions

Last edited:
Well, I'm 23 and just started with my first Schwinn earlier this year. I restored my first classic bike this year as well. I can say for sure that after I finish this project I will find another to fix up.

To be honest I can't stand new age Chinese throw away bikes. They don't ride the same as old bikes do. They feel cheap and flimsy. Plus there is no creativity put into them. Nothing to make it "yours".
My friends and I both are starting to collect them and fix them.
I can bet this hobby will hold on for a long time to come. The prices.... Not so sure.

-Ron-

Encouraging to see some youngsters posting here for sure. I look at the bikes as works of art that are no longer being made, although I hate the re-issue bikes out there being passed off as "originals" SOB's. I suppose it won't matter after I'm gone, if the hobby survives. What will become of my hoard.....? One would like to think they end up in a museum......but that is wishful thinking, unless I donate them.....and even then, some museums sell off part of their collection........who really knows. :cool:

I think it will shift directions somewhat. I think old lightweights and 3-speeds will come up in value quite a bit, with a slight drop to old balloon tire bikes. I think bikes like Paramounts, New Worlds, Sports Tourists, and Superiors are all going to go up pretty heavily in value and find more collectors. I think the ballooners will be flat or maybe have a slight drop (though not a whole lot). The trend among the younger people in the hobby I've bumped into is getting a vintage bike you can tour with or ride a lot. The ballooners work great in flat areas, but they're more limited than a light weight with 3, 5, or even 10 speeds. Raleigh and Schwinn lightweights are particularly popular lately. When I started getting into Raleighs 10 years ago, after awhile of Schwinn and Columbia focus, you could buy a nice 3 speed for $20-30. Now prices are over $200 for a nice 3 speed Raleigh here in the DC area.

Last edited:
I think it will shift directions somewhat. I think old lightweights and 3-speeds will come up in value quite a bit, with a slight drop to old balloon tire bikes. I think bikes like Paramounts, New Worlds, Sports Tourists, and Superiors are all going to go up pretty heavily in value and find more collectors. I think the ballooners will be flat or maybe have a slight drop (though not a whole lot). The trend among the younger people in the hobby I've bumped into is getting a vintage bike you can tour with or ride a lot. The ballooners work great in flat areas, but they're more limited than a light weight with 3, 5, or even 10 speeds.

I think you're spot on.

Back