When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is the old bike hobby growing or will it die out?

-
I'm registered on their website, but not a paying member. It's often very quiet with random explosions where long-time members disavow the site and leave. The only way to make it better is to join and get to know people. It's more of a social/history club than a web forum. Find your local chapter and see if you can go to a meeting. I know that means leaving your keyboard, but sometimes these things must be done.

I've met a few members I really like and a few I don't so much. It's like any national/international club, the cross section is huge and keeps things fairly impersonal (as far as making long lasting friendships). I'll probably join my local chapter as a paying member sometime, but it's not a priority currently. When the old guys go, someone has to fill their shoes or early safeties and ordinaries will be filling museums instead of being in the hands of hobbiests.

With regards to your reply as a paying member for a few years to a "department that is not very organized".
"Organization that is stuck in the '70s". Whose "members seem technologically challenged as well". Zero response
to your emails...makes me wonder... are you still a member & why :confused:

I am still a member. Some of the why's are as follows;

They have a good newsletter that I am interested in getting.

There is a huge gap in my knowledge when it comes to bikes and Columbia's history and that is pre-1900. Members of the Wheelmen have been very gracious with information to help fill in the gaps I have.

Members of the Wheelmen have gone out of their way to help me on my quest for information in the areas I lack. Ross Hill, the Wheelmens historian has been to my house on more than one occasion just to talk bikes. He lives in the Chicago area and I live in Massachusetts. I owe a lot of credit to Ross for information I have on my site.

Dave Toppin who is the Massachusetts chapter president has gone out of his way to help in my quest as well. He has also given me part of my dream and started teaching me to ride High wheel bikes. An experience not very similar to riding modern bikes to be sure. He does this for a lot of people who want to learn.

The dues are not very expensive to begin with and the newsletter is worth what you pay.

Last time I looked the Wheelmen web site was free. Anyone can use it and the "bicycle brands" section alone is antique bicycle gold.

In summery, if something is of interest to you then take the good with the bad and stop complaining. That is something many on this site have a very difficult time doing. (I'm not accusing the person I am directly replying to here) "It is what it is", an old saying but one to live by. As the younger generation who grew up with computers take over the world there will be less tolerance for those who did not grow up with this type of technology. We will be gone someday. Then everyone can tweet and text until their finger bleed. I don't care. I have what I came for.

The kids are alright....

I'm not worried. I see ratrodding growing....look at the lust for parts. Some bikes will get painted/parted along the way, but people will always want cool townies built for comfort and style. Just get out and ride the damn things. No kids curiosity will be peaked if they never see these bikes, because they are hanging out in your basement. How will they regret buying that Felt or Electra if they never see your bike?

I am still a member. Some of the why's are as follows;

They have a good newsletter that I am interested in getting.

There is a huge gap in my knowledge when it comes to bikes and Columbia's history and that is pre-1900. Members of the Wheelmen have been very gracious with information to help fill in the gaps I have.

Members of the Wheelmen have gone out of their way to help me on my quest for information in the areas I lack. Ross Hill, the Wheelmens historian has been to my house on more than one occasion just to talk bikes. He lives in the Chicago area and I live in Massachusetts. I owe a lot of credit to Ross for information I have on my site.

Dave Toppin who is the Massachusetts chapter president has gone out of his way to help in my quest as well. He has also given me part of my dream and started teaching me to ride High wheel bikes. An experience not very similar to riding modern bikes to be sure. He does this for a lot of people who want to learn.

The dues are not very expensive to begin with and the newsletter is worth what you pay.

Last time I looked the Wheelmen web site was free. Anyone can use it and the "bicycle brands" section alone is antique bicycle gold.

In summery, if something is of interest to you then take the good with the bad and stop complaining. That is something many on this site have a very difficult time doing. (I'm not accusing the person I am directly replying to here) "It is what it is", an old saying but one to live by. As the younger generation who grew up with computers take over the world there will be less tolerance for those who did not grow up with this type of technology. We will be gone someday. Then everyone can tweet and text until their finger bleed. I don't care. I have what I came for.

Please understand that I was basing my question on your reply # 58 which caused me to wonder.
Had I read only your second reply which has much positive input . I would not have asked.

You mentioned that many on this site have" a very difficult time in taking in the good with the bad
and stop complaining".

It seems to me that is good advice... & which I saw lacking in the initial reply (#58) with regards
to the Wheelmen.

Last edited:
Mr. Columbia,
Im voting you in to be our representative for diplomacy!
You wrote very good thoughts for members.
I would like to know how your ordinary lessons go.
I would like to learn how to ride, too.
Greg Barron tried to give me some quick lessons before the Fourth of July parade but was not enough confidence builder for this 63 year old guy.

I'm registered on their website, but not a paying member. It's often very quiet with random explosions where long-time members disavow the site and leave. The only way to make it better is to join and get to know people. It's more of a social/history club than a web forum. Find your local chapter and see if you can go to a meeting. I know that means leaving your keyboard, but sometimes these things must be done.

I've met a few members I really like and a few I don't so much. It's like any national/international club, the cross section is huge and keeps things fairly impersonal (as far as making long lasting friendships). I'll probably join my local chapter as a paying member sometime, but it's not a priority currently. When the old guys go, someone has to fill their shoes or early safeties and ordinaries will be filling museums instead of being in the hands of hobbiests.

I think your post gets to the heart of the original question. Ok so the Wheelmen don't want to answer email or do the 21st century things to grow their ranks. So yep those bikes will be relegated to museums. V/r Shawn

Mr. Columbia,
Im voting you in to be our representative for diplomacy!
You wrote very good thoughts for members.
I would like to know how your ordinary lessons go.
I would like to learn how to ride, too.
Greg Barron tried to give me some quick lessons before the Fourth of July parade but was not enough confidence builder for this 63 year old guy.

I simply state what I observe. From my perspective of course just like anybody would. How could anyone do differently. Personally, I have been feeling a bit tired as of late with the whole bicycle thing. Between my new business venture, a steady stream of rude, ignorant people contacting me through my web site and the constant bickering that seems to spring up on this site I've had just about enough. I'm fast approaching 1000 posts. After that I will probably move on. Mom always said not to overstay your welcome.

I only had one ordinary lesson and got to ride for about 15 minutes. I have pretty bad tendentious in both arms and was having difficulty mounting the bike so I could not continue. I'm not sure if I will ever be able to go further but that time I had doing figure eights in the parking lot was worth the world to me.

Please understand that I was basing my question on your reply # 58 which caused me to wonder.
Had I read only your second reply which has much positive input . I would not have asked.

You mentioned that many on this site have" a very difficult time in taking in the good with the bad
and stop complaining".

It seems to me that is good advice... & which I saw lacking in the initial reply (#58) with regards
to the Wheelmen.

I was responding to several negative comments about the Wheelmen with the intention of pointing out that the flaws in their organization were more benign than was insinuated by some. The direct insinuations that they are deliberately discriminating against people of color or status of life is repulsive to me.

I've bit my tong quite a few times lately and still feel I've said too much at times. This is what happens with this type of technology. The impersonal yet too personal medium of web forums. We sit at our key boards without facing the person we are talking to. There are no real life ramifications in this perverse world of our making. We say things we never would to someones face. We are a brave lot staring at our glowing screens. I am as guilty as everyone else. For that I do apologize.

Getting back to the topic, I still maintain that the whole Highwheel/Ordinary thing is simply too complicated for most in the hobby and for that reason alone these bikes will suffer the fate/retirement I predicted. It will always be a niche in the hobby but always a small one.

Only ten more posts? You're not ready to move on yet Mr. Columbia, still needed down here at the CABE. You are a very positive asset & you're website is a fantastic source of information. Let's give it one more for the Gipper.

Interesting segue from my original question, for sure. Who needs any other old bike site anyway, when there are so many great folks right here? This site has: 1. taught me a lot. 2. saved me a ton of money. 3. Is absolutely FREE! So.......there ya be.

Back