When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is there a difference between Schwinn springer and non-springer frames?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Tikibar

Finally riding a big boys bike
A noob question, but is there a difference between a Schwinn frame that has a springer fork and a frame that doesn't?

I have some prewar straightbar frames. Do I have a choice between using either a springer or non-springer fork, or is the frame made for one or the other? How can I tell the frames apart?

My question is in regards to prewar straightbar, but would like to hear about other Schwinn frame types too. Thanks

Schwinn-Model-C-Frame-Front.jpg

Generally speaking for prewar it doesn't make a difference. Just need to make sure you get a boys prewar fork though because prewar boys and girls are different fork tube lengths and are different than post war. Post war boys and girls are the same. V/r Shawn

Thanks, good to know I can choose a regular fork or a springer for my frame.

Some prewar Schwinn springers have an extra little tube, like a big macaroni, welded to the underside of the downtube. What's that for?

883BD66E-3685-45CE-8E77-F232DB0520D7~2.jpeg

883BD66E-3685-45CE-8E77-F232DB0520D7~3.jpeg

Specific to factory pieces that were originally equipped with a springer & a tank. No tank, no bumpers. Tank with no springer, no bumpers.
So this fork would not take a bumper
Iv seen a lot of Schwinn Springers out there with out bumpers

E59CA973-405B-497C-8083-1C771B6DBBFA.jpeg

5FA6790F-2AEE-4D73-8AF8-C25A59E73D32.jpeg

23384A20-DDFE-43BE-BEC2-4338B2159860.jpeg

Back