When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is there an AEROCYCLE thread that compares features/paint etc over the years

-
so on this first year aero....

would the paint job on this first aerocycle happen to be grey or silver?? I m dying to know.....after all they had to be up to doing things a lil differently.... after all it is what they did.....

would the paint job on this first aerocycle happen to be grey or silver?? I m dying to know.....after all they had to be up to doing things a lil differently.... after all it is what they did.....

I believe they were all silver. V/r Shawn

I was able to measure the seat tube but for anything else I would have to remove the tank which is a somewhat involved process. According to the '35 literature the frame was offered in two sizes: 16" and 18". Mine measures 18" from the center of the crank hanger to the top of the seat tube. V/r Shawn

Thanks Freqman1! Anyone have the other measurements?? :confused:

I assume the brochure illustrations weren't exactly as the bikes ended up looking or as they were equipped. The saddle for instance is something I've never seen, a wire frame chassis with the metal lipped top...not saying it doesn't exist just that I've been searching for aerocycle pictures and watching auctions for years and haven't seen one pop up. And depending on how detailed you want to get, the pancake horn bracket is missing the tab that folds over the side of the stem.
I think the brochure shows a close idea of what the production bikes were with some artistic liberties taken.

Just my thoughts,
Jason

Regarding the paint scheme pictured is the '34 dealer brochure. As you can clearly see there is no fender dart. I have seen pics of original paint bikes without the dart as well. Possibly the very early bikes did not have the dart?

View attachment 169400

Also from the '34 brochure notice that the fork stop is not present. The '35 literature I have does not show the fork stop either but I think that is because they recycled the '34 pic for '35. Also as I noted above the '35 lit mentions two different frame sizes-16" & 18". Lastly going back to something Marty said earlier about the '36 being a carry over model; first I haven't seen any '36 lit listing the Aerocycle, secondly, if it was offered in '36, the precedent of keeping the previous deluxe model in the line-up was set by the B10E which is shown at least through the '35 catalog meaning the B10E, Aerocycle, and newly introduced Cycleplane (Motorbike) were all available at the same time. So here are my thoughts on what we have so far. I believe the very early '34s didn't have the dart or the fork stop which were introduced at some point that year. I also question whether the Aerocycle was carried through to the '36 year. V/r Shawn
View attachment 169399

Wiring Diagrams

Both variations of the diagram are actually in one of MarkIV's albums here too...
attachment.php

attachment.php

There is a schematic for wiring up the Aerocycle on Bicyclechronicles.com
At least there used to be.
The format of that site has changed, and that information may not be available anymore.
The wire used, was armored 18 awg.

As far as literature mentioning them in '36, the 1936 Schwinn catalog doesn't advertise the Aerocycle for sale but does offer the aero taillight as an option for any other bike. I've seen original advertisements from independent hardware stores offering them for sale in '36. If I'm not mistaken some bikes have been dated by the crank stamp of '36, but whether the frames were made then or if it was just leftover stock is anyones guess.

I assume the brochure illustrations weren't exactly as the bikes ended up looking or as they were equipped. The saddle for instance is something I've never seen, a wire frame chassis with the metal lipped top...not saying it doesn't exist just that I've been searching for aerocycle pictures and watching auctions for years and haven't seen one pop up. And depending on how detailed you want to get, the pancake horn bracket is missing the tab that folds over the side of the stem.
I think the brochure shows a close idea of what the production bikes were with some artistic liberties taken.

Just my thoughts,
Jason

Jason,
I would agree that the catalog/ad illustrations are not exact in some details. Like I said though I have seen pics of original paint bikes that corroborate the ad illustration. Thanks to pg for starting this thread. At least some of us have learned quite a bit. V/r Shawn

Great when there can still be discussion

on an Iconic bike- hard to find in the auto world!
Thanks everyone

IMG]http://thecabe.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=77935&d=1356133079[/IMG]

I thought that it was interesting, that the schematic shows the early E/A flipper button for the horn, and that it calls out for a rubber insulator between the clamp and handlebars.

That's a tough button to find.

Back