When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is there an easy way to tell if a fender is a 26" vs 28"

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I edited to say "if not mounted". thanks Jake.
Ok @bricycle, I've got an idea. A floor and wall makes a right angle. Go get two fen... No, get a 24, a 26, and a 28. Set them up in the corner. Each will touch wall and floor to establish a quarter of the circle. I have no fenders with me, but if you or someone else does, get back with how tall on the wall each goes. Make sense? Mike
Or laid flat on the floor in the corner of two walls.

Measuring for Fenders

The basic rule in fender fitting is that the fender should be at least 8mm wider than the tire; 10-12 mm is better. So a 35mm fender will fit up to a 25-26mm tire; a 43mm will cover a 32-35mm; 45 covers 38mm, etc. The reason for this clearance is that otherwise little pebbles, sticks, and other debris that are thrown up by your tire will get lodged between the fender and tire. Of course many tires are smaller than their advertised size, so it's wise to actually measure the inflated tire.

A fender's width is measured on the outside, not inside. So to determine if a fender will fit you'll check clearance at the brakes, in the fork crown, and in between the seat stays.

If it is not mounted. thanks.

In the case of those stainless rain gutters that were posted for sale today, I think a lot of those will fit either 26 or 28. They used spacers and shorter braces in order to use the same size fenders. (I read about it here on the cabe so it must be true)
That's why they look too big on a 26" bike, because they weren't actually made for it. Here on my 26" Elgin you can see there is a gap all the way around between the tire and fender, and a gap between the front tire and back portion of the front fender. If you look close you can see the spacer in the second pic.

20170507_150927-jpg.jpg

20170507_151008-jpg.jpg

20170507_150937-jpg.jpg

I know an old carpenters trick of finding out what the radius is of an arch but I'm not sure if knowing the fender radius would help you out with the sizing of fenders.

I got home today and grabbed a couple fenders. I slid this one around a bit and the contact points never moved.
IMG_1368.JPG

This is an afterthought photo which shows measuring from the left side, which gives a quarter of the fender. Somebody grabbed the shower!
IMG_1367.JPG

26" fender comes out to about 14-3/4"
IMG_1369.JPG

24" fender comes out to about 13-1/4"
IMG_1370.JPG

Surely these are approximations. I would think rain gutter and peaked fenders might vary.
I don't have a 28", but I'd guess close to 16". Can somebody post a pic?

Back