When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

is there anything you can do with a rusty chain??

-

49autocycledeluxe

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
changed a bike from standard chain to skip tooth, I had a stiff skip tooth chain here and soaked it in WD40 and worked all the stiff links until it was like a good chain. put it on and it creaks and groans like it is ready to break. .... probably won't break but the noise is annoying and this will not do.

is there anything we can do with a crusty skip tooth that could save it? soak it in molasses or something to kill the rust? I have one more crusty chain to try before I spend more money on a better one.

pics of the cog?
also: count the links, pull the chain out flat and measure it, should be very close to the same.
sounds like either or both the chain and cog are worn and no longer matching in pitch.
noise from worn chain/cog is common, especially when introducing old drivetrain parts that didn’t grow old together.

put it in evapo-rust over nite if that doesnt fix it the pins are bent,prolly ezer to just get a new one

I would just ride the hell out of it. Make sure to keep it oiled up good. Any rust build up should wear away in time. If that doesn’t work, substitute another chain that runs quiet. If that doesn’t work , you have worn gears.

e5f3eb2e4d18bb691196e321ee3e25d9.jpg

download (6).jpeg

download (5).jpeg

Soak it in oxalic acid, vinegar, or Kroil. Sometimes it takes a soak for a day or so in each one, and then maybe go back to vinegar. Rinse well after oxalic acid bath and vinegar soaks. The Kroil gets in the nooks and crannies and is a good way to finish it off. Wipe the excess off and put the chain on. On stubborn ones I've had, it may take 2 weeks and patience. If after that if links don't move freely, it's junk.

I've had good luck soaking a crusty stiff chain in 90 wt. gear oil. There is a thread here somewhere describing this, it sure pulls off the grime and rust.
Good luck.

Like RustJunkie said. meadure it to make sure it's not too worn and 'stretched'. A stretched chain will wear out the teeth of the cog.

After getting the rust cleaned off, automatic transmission fluid penetrates and lubricates well and you might even have some lying around. WD40 can help remove rust, but is not a very good lubricant, so almost anything else would do a better job when it comes to that.

Back