When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

is there anything you can do with a rusty chain??

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
thanks for the replies. I'll have to get the bike out and shoot some pictures of the gears.

do these bikes actually get ridden enough to wear out the teeth on those steel gears??

I would say, yes, yes they do.

This was the Morrow hub on my 1929 Westfield before I rebuilt it and replaced the sprocket.

20190204_140728.jpg

Soak them in a 9:1 solution of water : molasses. Leave it in week, take out, scrub with a brass brush, rinse, and soak some more. Continue till it's like new.

Spending time on a rusty chain doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me because they cost so little. I used to do a lot of work on lightweghts and bought chain from a bike shop by the foot. Much cheaper that way so I ususally got enough to do 3 or 4 bikes and always had some on hand. Nice to work with a clean chain and it only took a few minutes to install a nice new one..

However if you are working on a skip tooth or want to keep the bike totally original that's a bit of a differnt story

I had a skip tooth once that was a bit rusty but not pitted or damaged the point of unsafe. Got all the grease and crud of with Easy Off oven cleaner. Just sprayed it, let it sit for a few minutes, then hosed it off. Used a heat gun to dry it rhoughly and quickly.

Next put in in a pot with an oxalic acid solution and let it sit for about an hour.

It came out looking looking like bare metal (which it was) so I put it in old pot with gun bluing solution. Warmed the mixture up using my trusty heat gun and let if sit for about 10 minutes. Pulled it out, rised with water as per directions, dried it throughly, then oiled. Ended up looking pretty darn good and the whole process only took about an hour of actual working time.

Spending time on a rusty chain doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me because they cost so little. I used to do a lot of work on lightweghts and bought chain from a bike shop by the foot. Much cheaper that way so I ususally got enough to do 3 or 4 bikes and always had some on hand. Nice to work with a clean chain and it only took a few minutes to install a nice new one..

However if you are working on a skip tooth or want to keep the bike totally original that's a bit of a differnt story

I had a skip tooth once that was a bit rusty but not pitted or damaged the point of unsafe. Got all the grease and crud of with Easy Off oven cleaner. Just sprayed it, let it sit for a few minutes, then hosed it off. Used a heat gun to dry it rhoughly and quickly.

Next put in in a pot with an oxalic acid solution and let it sit for about an hour.

It came out looking looking like bare metal (which it was) so I put it in old pot with gun bluing solution. Warmed the mixture up using my trusty heat gun and let if sit for about 10 minutes. Pulled it out, rised with water as per directions, dried it throughly, then oiled. Ended up looking pretty darn good and the whole process only took about an hour of actual working time.
This sounds like good sound straightforward advice. Especially about drying after rinsing and recreating the original Bluing finish! Thanks for posting!

Back