When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is thie a Peugeot px10?

-

Brams

Look Ma, No Hands!
So along with currently restoring a 1930's ladies Hercules bike I stupidly went & bought this Peugeot, at only £20 I had to ;)

Peugeot Bike.jpg

Looking at the examples online it looks to be a PX10 but this is only a 5 speed & from brochures they didn't come in my bikes colour so I was a bit confused. The only one to match was a USA brochure showing the same colours & decals but it's a USA PH8 model. http://www.bikeboompeugeot.com/Broc...res/Peugeot 1980 USA Touring Brochure PH8.jpg.
Mine also has a Suntour VX derailleur not the Simplex others came with. Also the frame is just butt welded without any fancy embellishments, has Weinmann brakes & 170mm 52T crank with 14-28T rear set. There's a white sticker under the BB which has the numbers 1340093 PH8S & serial number on the rear of the frame is Y102 22616 which would indicate a 1970's model?

Is this most likely to be a PH8S ??

Reactions: JLF
Don't know the model but rather low-end and, therefore not px10. Clues that it is not a high-end machine include( but not limited to) the rear dropouts being stamped from steel plate rather than forged and machined--also the chainring has a guard on the outside to prevent chain loss due to over-shift. You did alright on price though.

I planned to just check & service the main parts leaving the frame as is & use it on my turbo trainer, but as I have discovered it has 27" x 1 1/4" wheels I'm not sure I can get a turbo trainer wheel for it as that size seems pretty rare. So I think the plan is now to change the rear wheel to a 700c & use that as I won't need to worry about the brakes fitting properly. When the weather gets better I can use my old Ribble out on the road & do a full frame respray & new decals.

Not done much to this except research, measure & order a new seat post, clamp & seat. The front wheel bearing is a bit 'grindy' when turned by hand but spins smooth enough when on the bike, but I think I'll replace it with NOS hub.

So, I've serviced both wheels & stripped down & re-greased the cassette. I noticed that 3 of teeth on the 20T cog & 4 on the 24T cog are looking a little short, probably snapped off at some stage, so was wondering if they will still be OK?

DSC_1646.JPG

DSC_1647.JPG

Another question I had was if I want to change this bike to a 10 speed by adding a front derailleur, can I just bolt on a new front 40T cog or do I need to change the whole crank set?

One of the pedals was badly bent & quite rusty,, so I gave them a strong Oxalic Acid soak for an hour. The part with the reflectors on have tabs bent over the ends so I bent them back to remove the damaged part then set about doing a bit of panel beating to straighten it all out. Also the domed end caps were dented so with the use of a punch & large domed bolt I got them sorted too. I also straightened out the shaft of the damaged pedal, cleaned & re-greased the bearings so they both turn free.

DSC_1715.JPG

DSC_1718.JPG

DSC_1717.JPG

I've made a little progress, things are now painted & I'm upgrading all the components so just waiting for Ebay/Amazon purchases to turn up. I'm going with 700c wheels now so I've had to buy longer reach calipers. Also I am changing to a 3x8 setup from a Triban 3) so new crank (50, 39, 34, 170mm), new bottom bracket, F & R derailleurs, brifters, wheels (11-28 freehub) & QR axles, down tube shifter clamp & stop ends. I'll post again when it's all done.

Here is the new colour scheme with new original decals (ignore the mess on the bench) & I decided to paint my helmet to match.

DSC_0027.JPG

DSC_0082.JPG

DSC_0084.JPG

The thing I'm having trouble with is finding replacement hoods for the brake/gear levers, I they are Microshift but I'm not sure if they are R8 or SB range? One has 'Microshift' on it the other just has 'Triple' & I can't find any other markings or numbers on them.

DSC_0050.JPG

Struggling to find brake calipers to fit the new 700c wheels. The first set I ordered were supposed to be long-reach but ended up being the same length as the original ones & the second set were actually way too long & missed the rim. I measured the distance as shown online & it's 67mm so just need to find a pair that fit but don't cost the earth!

DSC_0112.JPG

I just picked up some 2016 Alex Rims Race 700 x 23/25C. I've got some Kenda 32C cyclocross tires I will be putting on & changing the 10 speed cassette to an 8 speed as that is what the shifter is (3x8spd).

Alex Rims Race 700 x 23c.jpg

Back