When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is thie a Peugeot px10?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Brams

Look Ma, No Hands!
So along with currently restoring a 1930's ladies Hercules bike I stupidly went & bought this Peugeot, at only £20 I had to ;)

Peugeot Bike.jpg

Looking at the examples online it looks to be a PX10 but this is only a 5 speed & from brochures they didn't come in my bikes colour so I was a bit confused. The only one to match was a USA brochure showing the same colours & decals but it's a USA PH8 model. http://www.bikeboompeugeot.com/Broc...res/Peugeot 1980 USA Touring Brochure PH8.jpg.
Mine also has a Suntour VX derailleur not the Simplex others came with. Also the frame is just butt welded without any fancy embellishments, has Weinmann brakes & 170mm 52T crank with 14-28T rear set. There's a white sticker under the BB which has the numbers 1340093 PH8S & serial number on the rear of the frame is Y102 22616 which would indicate a 1970's model?

Is this most likely to be a PH8S ??

Reactions: JLF
Don't know the model but rather low-end and, therefore not px10. Clues that it is not a high-end machine include( but not limited to) the rear dropouts being stamped from steel plate rather than forged and machined--also the chainring has a guard on the outside to prevent chain loss due to over-shift. You did alright on price though.

I planned to just check & service the main parts leaving the frame as is & use it on my turbo trainer, but as I have discovered it has 27" x 1 1/4" wheels I'm not sure I can get a turbo trainer wheel for it as that size seems pretty rare. So I think the plan is now to change the rear wheel to a 700c & use that as I won't need to worry about the brakes fitting properly. When the weather gets better I can use my old Ribble out on the road & do a full frame respray & new decals.

Not done much to this except research, measure & order a new seat post, clamp & seat. The front wheel bearing is a bit 'grindy' when turned by hand but spins smooth enough when on the bike, but I think I'll replace it with NOS hub.

So, I've serviced both wheels & stripped down & re-greased the cassette. I noticed that 3 of teeth on the 20T cog & 4 on the 24T cog are looking a little short, probably snapped off at some stage, so was wondering if they will still be OK?

DSC_1646.JPG

DSC_1647.JPG

Another question I had was if I want to change this bike to a 10 speed by adding a front derailleur, can I just bolt on a new front 40T cog or do I need to change the whole crank set?

One of the pedals was badly bent & quite rusty,, so I gave them a strong Oxalic Acid soak for an hour. The part with the reflectors on have tabs bent over the ends so I bent them back to remove the damaged part then set about doing a bit of panel beating to straighten it all out. Also the domed end caps were dented so with the use of a punch & large domed bolt I got them sorted too. I also straightened out the shaft of the damaged pedal, cleaned & re-greased the bearings so they both turn free.

DSC_1715.JPG

DSC_1718.JPG

DSC_1717.JPG

I've made a little progress, things are now painted & I'm upgrading all the components so just waiting for Ebay/Amazon purchases to turn up. I'm going with 700c wheels now so I've had to buy longer reach calipers. Also I am changing to a 3x8 setup from a Triban 3) so new crank (50, 39, 34, 170mm), new bottom bracket, F & R derailleurs, brifters, wheels (11-28 freehub) & QR axles, down tube shifter clamp & stop ends. I'll post again when it's all done.

Here is the new colour scheme with new original decals (ignore the mess on the bench) & I decided to paint my helmet to match.

DSC_0027.JPG

DSC_0082.JPG

DSC_0084.JPG

The thing I'm having trouble with is finding replacement hoods for the brake/gear levers, I they are Microshift but I'm not sure if they are R8 or SB range? One has 'Microshift' on it the other just has 'Triple' & I can't find any other markings or numbers on them.

DSC_0050.JPG

Struggling to find brake calipers to fit the new 700c wheels. The first set I ordered were supposed to be long-reach but ended up being the same length as the original ones & the second set were actually way too long & missed the rim. I measured the distance as shown online & it's 67mm so just need to find a pair that fit but don't cost the earth!

DSC_0112.JPG

I just picked up some 2016 Alex Rims Race 700 x 23/25C. I've got some Kenda 32C cyclocross tires I will be putting on & changing the 10 speed cassette to an 8 speed as that is what the shifter is (3x8spd).

Alex Rims Race 700 x 23c.jpg

Back