When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this a 1934 Huffman?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
If you can afford to spend the money, Evaporust or a similar brand would be the way to go to derust that bike.
All plating is not the same. I have used Lime juice with good results, mainly because I am frugal.[cheap is a better word], but since this is dad's bike, you may want to go the "safer" route on your rust removal. Plating is a not so funny thing, once it's gone...it's gone. If you read the Restoration Tips posts you will here lots of good things about Oxalic Acid. It's cheap and does wonders on rust removal , but DO NOT USE IT on plated parts, Never. It can remove too much and is inconsistent depending on temperature and mixture ratio.
I had a hunch your dad was a Korean War Vet. These guys came back and had lots of catching up to do and did that sort of thing , especially with cars and motorcycles. To a lesser degree with bicycles, depending on their budget. Thanks for sharing the story, and the bike. God bless your pop and thanks for his service to our country.
Keep us posted about the bike.

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade here, but how did you determine it was in fact dads bike given the fact you didn't know it existed until after your parent's passing? Is there known history or photos of your dad with the bike? Maybe your dad has surviving siblings that could shed some light on the bike's history? If not, is it possible it was in the attic when the family moved there, or could it have been picked up from someone's trash at some point in time and put up in the attic? Who knows how it really got there and when and by whom it was plated. Tinker correctly notes that the vets coming home had a lot of catching up to do. I agree, and I could be wrong, but I can't imagine that a 20 or 21 year old vet would come home and spend the time and money chroming an old bicycle. Most, like my own dad, just wanted to go to work, make some money and find a nice girl to marry and settle down with. It's a neat old bike and deserves to be put back on the street. Have fun with it.

Thank you for explaining the trends of WW2 & Korean war veterans. My dad was in the Korean war, he passed in 1989 so I don’t have the history. If my brother and I hadn’t looked up in the attic of my mother’s St. Louis home after she died, we would have missed this treasure. My father was born to in Lima Ohio (1932)and then the family moved to St. Louis when he was in grade school. His father worked at Eastside Casting and made a metal, enameled 2’x2’ chess/checker board... so maybe his dad plated it?

7D567930-ECE1-4B07-9840-5343FEC09740.jpeg

846B8D5F-1635-45F6-A2E6-84B043EDB10A.jpeg

1BB11173-652B-469F-B5C3-763FB7A94072.jpeg

295F06C7-05A3-4F60-8575-BDB4909B314C.jpeg

9EA9D2BA-7CE7-48E2-9F02-B99274957F74.jpeg

40FD7AE0-4727-4BD7-B5CE-5A56B9368C07.jpeg

Now look at my dad’s 1941 Huffman Chieftain! This restoration is the work of Jesse Andersen a fellow Thecabe member who located in my own county. It’s beautiful and I will be riding it in the Des Moines Mayors Ride on April 20. Go back and see the transformation. I did add a chrome torpedo light 1940s replica, an oroginal 1940s bookrack on the back, and of coarse a new, heavily-padded, cover for the original seat!

Back