When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this a 1960’s JC Higgins?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Monarkman

Finally riding a big boys bike
latest addition to the family, that I’m making into a cruiser. It had a Komet rear hub if that helps, but original wheels were way to rusty to use.

It appears to be a 1960’s JC Higgins….made by Murray???
Any help identifying this is greatly appreciated. Thank you.🇺🇸

37A634AC-1C3C-414D-B56B-48319BDE1AD4.jpeg

latest addition to the family, that I’m making into a cruiser. It had a Komet rear hub if that helps, but original wheels were way to rusty to use.

It appears to be a 1960’s JC Higgins….made by Murray???
Any help identifying this is greatly appreciated. Thank you.🇺🇸

View attachment 1621687
Looks like a Higgins to me, I have a '62 that is the same frame different chain guard

It could be one of many “space frame” bikes built by Murray of Ohio for any one of many distributors. Sears, JC Pennys, Gambles, OTASCO, K-Mart, Wards, etc. Murray used the same frame then changed racks, chain guards, tanks, etc. for each distributo. The numbers stamped into the left dropout can be decoded using the Murray serial number project thread on this site. Easiest way to find it is to Google the thread by name.

It could be one of many “space frame” bikes built by Murray of Ohio for any one of many distributors. Sears, JC Pennys, Gambles, OTASCO, K-Mart, Wards, etc. Murray used the same frame then changed racks, chain guards, tanks, etc. for each distributo. The numbers stamped into the left dropout can be decoded using the Murray serial number project thread on this site. Easiest way to find it is to Google the thread by name.
Thank you so much for your response!👍🇺🇸

Like Rivnut says, except that that frame is the one used for Sears J.C. Higgins Flightliners (1958-1963). The Spaceliner frames (1964-1968) were different, as shown in the photo below. Have fun!

If it is a JCH, there'll be a 502 or MOD 502 before the serial #. Sometimes there's also part of the Sears catalog number there too.

Back