When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this a frame repair (weld)?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

MBP

Finally riding a big boys bike
Looking at purchasing a 50s model CWC bicycle. Before making the road trip, I wanted to see if anyone thinks this picture reveals an amature repair (weld) on the double (lower) bar? Your thoughts?

photo3-1.jpg

photo4-1.jpg

Last edited:
Judging a weld from an under exposed photo of a repainted frame can’t yield complete surety but the juncture looks factory to me. The top tube was electro-welded to an inner sleeve which results in the look of the top joint. The lower tube was hand fillet welded into place after the rest of the frame had been assembled which results in the look of the lower joint. Both welds look fine to me and this is also not an area that typically received much stress or was failure prone. If the lower weld had broken, the top weld would also likely be damaged and it could not be easily repaired to look factory like this one does.

Thanks Phil. I appreciate your help.

I wasn't sure exactly what to look for and I sincerely value the opinions and expertise offered on this site. Many of us are not as well versed as you when it comes to vintage bikes and how they were built. Every day is a learning experience. Thanks.

The photos were taken with the sellers cell phone. Believe it or not... these were the "better" of all the photos. (smiles)

Back