When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this a real Harley

-
Seeing the second frame showing red and blue over khaki make me wonder if the popularity of khaki bikes quickly died after WWI and dealers or the factory repainted frames still in stock with a nice red to appeal to the market? It does seem like the catalogs that show color illustrations often have motorbikes/motobikes/motocykes in red. Nice catchy color for advertising.

To me sure looks like the red and the blue over the khaki/olive drab. The teeth on the chain ring just looked like nice worn originals.

Nothing against Olive drab green, but I'm guessing after either(any) War, that color was the last thing folks/kids wanted to see... reminded them of a horrible time in their lives... rationing, death, constant war ads, etc...
Good point I never thought of that. it wasn't quite nostalgic yet.

Hello , Now for sale. EBAY. Check no “Fishmount”
On frame

DA9AA8F4-E7D0-4DD5-9D9D-DE7667CF94A5.png

B6580A6A-728C-42B8-B81B-4D44417D0451.png

This is a close-up of the same ''for sale'' H-D bicycle in this thread.
View attachment 1131713
Hello , Now for sale. EBAY. Check no “Fishmount”
On frame
Very good observation @prbowden , Patric Cafaro @hoofhearted has made it his lifetime pursuit to the study Davis built bicycles. Please note his post number #38 in this thread stating some of the Harley built bicycle have a trumpet (fish) mouth and some do not. Any theories why this is the case Patric?

Last edited:
@New Mexico Brant

Very good observation @prbowden , Patric Cafaro @hoofhearted has made it his lifetime pursuit to study Davis built bicycles. Please note his post number #38 in this thread stating some of the Harley built bicycle have a trumpet (fish) mouth and some do not.

Any theories why this is the case Patric?

No theories on this Davis-topic -- Brant.

Am still consumed with the mysteries surrounding
the Davis ''windowed'' dropstand ears. Two types
were manufactured … the ''three-edge window'' and
the ''four-edge window''.

Let me stipify just ''what'' is mysterious to my eye ….
There is not really enough of a design change between
either to warrant the manufacture of an alternate. ( OPINION )

In addition … were both variations used concurrently ?

Which is the earlier design ?

While neither is found in abundance … either commands
top dollar --- however … the ''four-edge'' appears to be
preferred over the ''three-edge'' … as reflected in CABEr's
dropstand ''wants'' .. and sales figures. ( OPINION )

….. patric

Back