When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this a real Harley

-
For reference....my bb when painted over.
20191107_091744.jpg

@frankandpam
Here's my 2 cents ( and believe me all it's worth). I have an original chain ring. This one looks good but a couple red flags. One is the "sharp" (worn?) teeth. Seen that on re-pops. They usually square off more. The other is all the "imperfections" in the letters that the originals have, are present, but look's like filed to produce those imperfections. Also the head badge looks good, but the inner middle texture looks a little uneven in wear. If somebody did "fake" this bike they went to a lot of trouble, but for fifteen grand they mite have. I have seen vintage Fender guitars that were faked with patina and almost indistinguishable from a $30,000 original. It's a crazy world out there.

That ring is authentic ... compare to this other, Ethernet example

..... patric

Seeing the second frame showing red and blue over khaki make me wonder if the popularity of khaki bikes quickly died after WWI and dealers or the factory repainted frames still in stock with a nice red to appeal to the market? It does seem like the catalogs that show color illustrations often have motorbikes/motobikes/motocykes in red. Nice catchy color for advertising.

Seeing the second frame showing red and blue over khaki make me wonder if the popularity of khaki bikes quickly died after WWI and dealers or the factory repainted frames still in stock with a nice red to appeal to the market? It does seem like the catalogs that show color illustrations often have motorbikes/motobikes/motocykes in red. Nice catchy color for advertising.
Nothing against Olive drab green, but I'm guessing after either(any) War, that color was the last thing folks/kids wanted to see... reminded them of a horrible time in their lives... rationing, death, constant war ads, etc...

Back