When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is This A Schwinn With S2 Rims

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

mike1117

Finally riding a big boys bike
I just pulled this out of storage. Going to take try and sell it at a swap meet in a few weeks but want to know what this is. Looks like a lot of different parts. Frame has an H1 starting serial # on rear dropout. Tires are both 26 X 2.125, front wheel is a stamped Schwinn S2 and not in bad shape,, rear rim is smooth but has a Bendix brake arm. Frame and guard look to be repainted, fenders look like original paint. Has a Schwinn badge on it. Does not look like a Schwinn Springer, some inexpensive springer I would say. Is this called a twin straight bar frame? Bike rides and stops well. Was this a Schwinn, no idea on the value, maybe a $50-$200?? bike, any ideas on what it is and value, any help is appreciated. Thanks.

102_0072.JPG

102_0073.JPG

102_0074.JPG

102_0075.JPG

102_0076.JPG

102_0076.JPG

102_0078.JPG

102_0079.JPG

102_0080.JPG

102_0081.JPG

102_0082.JPG

Yup 1959/60/61 TORNADO twin straight bar. Last yr for straight bar Schwinn's I believe was 61. This would have come with a tank. $200.00 is a great deal for the buyer. I'd ask $350.00 you can always come down right.

With that later 1961 serial number this bike actually started out as a Skipper. Mid year 61 Schwinn changed the Tornado and it had new chain guard markings along with a frame change to the continuous twin straight bar.

1961dlr_Skipper.jpg

Surprised nobody has mentioned that it has a Bendix Multi Speed hub without any controls.

Without the shifter it will be stuck in low gear. You can either install all of the missing parts, OR you can take the hub apart, reverse the sun gear, and it will stay in "high gear", like a normal one speed coaster brake.

John

I have been riding the bike today and did notice the low gearing it is in which is fine for me as I sort of just putter along at a crawl most of the time. Any one that is close to me in San Jose that has an interest in the bike and can come to me and pick it up, send me a PM and make me an offer. I am not interested in shipping it though. Thanks to everyone for the great info on the bike.

Surprised nobody has mentioned that it has a Bendix Multi Speed hub without any controls.

Without the shifter it will be stuck in low gear. You can either install all of the missing parts, OR you can take the hub apart, reverse the sun gear, and it will stay in "high gear", like a normal one speed coaster brake.

John
From the rim I'm guessing the rear wheel came off a '50's AMF middleweight. I would have got the shifter while I was at it, but there's no telling what the circumstances were.

I just listed here bike for sale in the bike for sale section. Local Pickup only, San Jose CA. Asking $250. If interested PM me and we can try to work out a deal. I would possibly take some 20" Schwinn parts as trade.

Back