When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this an aerocycle frame?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
That's without a doubt an Aerocycle frame.
Since the serial number has a letter prefix, it's definitely a 35/36
I am of the thought, that no Aerocycles were actually manufactured in 1936, and that they were just being sold out during that year.
So my best guess, is that your frame was made in 1935.
The date code on the crank arm may help, but since the bike looks to be heavily Rat Rodded, I wouldn't put too much stock on the date code, unless it says, 34 or 35.
Then at least you will know, that the crack and chain wheel/sprocket are original to the frame.
That's about all there is of the once mighty Aerocycle, but very cool that it still exists.
Congrats, on the neat find.

winner.jpg

That's without a doubt an Aerocycle frame.
Since the serial number has a letter prefix, it's definitely a 35/36
I am of the thought, that no Aerocycles were actually manufactured in 1936, and that they were just being sold out during that year.
So my best guess, is that your frame was made in 1935.
The date code on the crank arm may help, but since the bike looks to be heavily Rat Rodded, I wouldn't put too much stock on the date code, unless it says, 34 or 35.
Then at least you will know, that the crack and chain wheel/sprocket are original to the frame.
That's about all there is of the once mighty Aerocycle, but very cool that it still exists.
Congrats, on the neat find.
Thanks for all the information! I will get the crank off and see what it says. Currently the pedal is welded on, but that's not a problem. It is kind of sad that most of it is gone, but I find it to still be a very interesting bike. My current plans are to see if there is any original paint under the spray paint (looks to be mostly gone). I'll straighten the chain stay, and fix the crappy weld job. After that I'll make it a rider, finding original parts doesn't seem likely, lol.

The frame looks very similar to the Aero.
camel4.jpgScreen Shot 2018-09-21 at 5.15.07 PM.png
Chestnut Hollow used to sell the tank (fiber-glass)... not sure if they still have them.
In 1991, I recall an original Aero (tank only) going for $2000 in fair condition.
Not sure what the going rate is today for one if you can find one.
019829F96EF040CCADF54F16531D17F327600000-1.jpg

aer1225f3.jpg

I owned an Aero.
Unless you were a kid or small in stature, the cross-braced handlebars
were too close to the legs while turning... making the ride a bit uncomfortable
for my 6’3’’ frame.
IMG_0184.JPG

(iPhone copy taken of one of the few photographs of my Aero)

Raising the seat post as much as possible helped some. ;)

Last edited:
I got this bike broken down. I had to cut the pedal off. I don't know that the cranks can be saved. Pedals have been welded on both sides. The crank was stamped '36.
camel9.jpg

camel7.jpg

There is a small amount of original maroon paint. Most of it is gone, and the spray paint is not coming off easily. You can still see a bit of the diamond on the seat tube and that's the largest part of original paint that I have found.
camel5.jpg

The seat tube and top bar have been brazed and the chain stays have been smashed a bit.
camel6.jpg

camel8.jpg

Back