When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this an elgin?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

marcusthemoose

Look Ma, No Hands!
Sorry guys, I was at a car swap meet today in the uk and I came across a few bikes from the usa.

I'm a schwinn collector mostly but I have other balloon bikes (a twin bar project and a 48 roadmaster)

I'm about 90% sure this a Westfield frame, and the forks look Elgin to me and it has a morrow (?) finned hub with Elgin stamped arm- the guy thinks it's a schwinn (like a lot of people think every American bike over here is a schwinn- cos it's the only one they've heard of)

Sorry, I only have one photo of it and no serial no.

It has the three ribbed chainguard guard (like the photo attached) and the small 22t skip chainring (the scaled down bluebird styled one with four slots round the edge)

He wants quite a big price (I think!) of £575- about 750 bucks. Shipping on these bikes to the uk is normally about 200 dollars.

Question one- is it an Elgin? The over fork fender and finned hub say yes, and a good one. But the crude join to the head tube and lack of tank say it's not a high end one.

Question two- what's a fair price- is he anywhere close or should I just walk on by when I wander round the meet tomorrow?

Thanks in advance

fullsizeoutput_b96.jpeg

received_2088824031368278.jpeg

I'd say it is an Elgin prob about '40-1. Way too much money-not a high end bike. I'd pass. V/r Shawn

Probably an Elgin, but I believe it's Murray built rather than Westfield built. At any rate, don't walk, but RUN AWAY at that price. That's about a $200-$300 bike.

Thanks for the speedy replies guys, that was my inclination but I had to be sure- I reckon there's probably 20 Elgins in the whole country right now!

Back