When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this an Oscar Wastyn Track Bike?

-

MOTOmike

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hello fellow Cabers,

A neighbor of mine has had this track bike for a long, long time. He asked me if I knew anything about it (no I don't), but I know who might (the CABE). The seat stays are the smallest diameter seat stays I have seen on a bike. They looked like they were about 3/8" in diameter (to reduce weight??). I have included lots of photos. If anyone can shed some light regarding this bike, my neighbor Ken, and I would be grateful.

Thanks,

Mike (aka MOTO mike)

IMG_4359.jpeg

IMG_4360.jpeg

IMG_4361.jpeg

IMG_4362.jpeg

IMG_4363.jpeg

IMG_4364.jpeg

IMG_4365.jpeg

IMG_4367.jpeg

IMG_4368.jpeg

IMG_4369.jpeg

IMG_4370.jpeg

IMG_4371.jpeg

I just spoke to my neighbor Ken about what he wants to do with this Wastyn bike frame. He wants to sell it but he, and I, have no idea of its value. So I'm asking CABERs in the know, what would a frame like this be worth. The frame looked perfectly straight to my eyes. I can go take a measurement of the frame size if that makes a difference to anyone. So if anyone has a range of values for this frame, please let me know and I will post in the for sale section.

Thanks,

Mike (aka MOTOmike)

I just walked across the street to take some additional photos and get some measurements. The frame size (measured center of BB to top of seat tube) is 21 1/2". Top tube (measured from center of seat tube to center of head tube) is 23". Head tube length is 5 1/2". The seat stays are 3/8" O.D. The frame was painted with gray paints decades ago, but there are enough places where the gray paint has flaked off, that makes me think the entire frame is plated. We looked for a serial number but could not find one. Also, we could not find the two holes in the head tube for the head badge. Maybe they were covered over when the bike frame was painted gray??

Ken told me he used to live in Chicago and used to go to the Wastyn's bike shop when Oscar Wastyn Jr. was running it. Ken said he knew people in Chicago that used to know Oscar Wastyn Sr. Ken said they used to build their own bike frames at the shop and that this frame possibly was built by Oscar Sr., but he cannot confirm this.

Check out the additional photos. If anyone has a sense of value for this frame, please let me know, and I'll let Ken know.

Mike

IMG_4392.jpeg

IMG_4386.jpeg

IMG_4388.jpeg

IMG_4390.jpeg

IMG_4391.jpeg

IMG_4392.jpeg

IMG_4393.jpeg

IMG_4395.jpeg

IMG_4396.jpeg

IMG_4397.jpeg

IMG_4398.jpeg

IMG_4399.jpeg

IMG_4400.jpeg

IMG_4401.jpeg

IMG_4402.jpeg

IMG_4403.jpeg

Nice frame. Looks to be light. Now if that badge was held on with an old wire instead of plastic. Interesting to see if there are any holes for it.

Congrats!
Be sure, and keep us posted on the progress and any info you find out about it.
Possibly built by Emil Wastyn?

Hello fellow Cabers,

A neighbor of mine has had this track bike for a long, long time. He asked me if I knew anything about it (no I don't), but I know who might (the CABE). The seat stays are the smallest diameter seat stays I have seen on a bike. They looked like they were about 3/8" in diameter (to reduce weight??). I have included lots of photos. If anyone can shed some light regarding this bike, my neighbor Ken, and I would be grateful.

Thanks,

Mike (aka MOTO mike)

View attachment 1151712

View attachment 1151713

View attachment 1151714

View attachment 1151715

View attachment 1151716

View attachment 1151717

View attachment 1151718

View attachment 1151719

View attachment 1151720

View attachment 1151721

View attachment 1151722

View attachment 1151723
I have a bike almost the same. Mine has the same open seat stays, lugs, a little different front fork dropouts. Unfortunately, mine has no information and was stripped and given a powder coat paint job. I would get all the information you can, in writing, with any historic pictures. Even with the glued on head badge I might be willing to buy it. Mainly because I need one more bike and I'm weak willed.

Back