When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this Columbia thunderbolt worth restoring

-
Yea this is def purely a rehab project for just me. I’m not looking to make any money. But the more I look into it, the more I’m leaning towards the restore, with decals and all. I’ve redone chrome in the past and it’s a pain, but I can handle that portion

It would cost many times more than it worth to actually restore it like it left the shop.It has very little collector value.I would have fun with it and do what you want to make it your own custom bike.Let your mind go wild and build it into a personal custom bike.Have FUN with it.You cant hurt the collector value.

As long as it's not me paying for it, and it's purely for your own enjoyment, I'd love to see a faithful restoration of this bike. It really is a very interesting one at that, and one I personally think is seldom seen.

As long as it's not me paying for it, and it's purely for your own enjoyment, I'd love to see a faithful restoration of this bike. It really is a very interesting one at that, and one I personally think is seldom seen.
Agreed. Quality paint, having water slide decals custom made, chrome, and cad I’m seeing about $2k for a $250 bicycle when done. V/r Shawn

Yeah, I vote "refurbish" rather than "restore". Just about every old bike deserves a good cleaning and overhaul.

... only the person doing the work can tell if it was "worth it". I put $400.00 into a bike I may never even get $200.00 for. still looking for a seat bag and generator light set that will add another $100.00 to the tab. a normal person would have bought it for much less than I paid, taken the brake levers, the razor stem and a few bits off and scrapped the rest. I consider normal to be boring and avoid it at all costs.

Looks like a great candidate for a rehabilitation. The chrome should clean up fine with 0000 steel wool, CLR or Evaporust and brass wire brushes. With frames like this I usually do a progression of clean (dish soap and rag or simple green and rag), then polishing compound, then wax, then Pedro's bike lust.
Pedro's bike lust? Never heard of that... Please share... Thanks... Razin...

Back