When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this Hawthorne Motobike worth $225?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Yeah I saw that one on Facebook. Up in Fort Collins. Seemed like a good deal. Glad you picked it up. And yes. Post up some killer bikes and there is a chance that me, Eric, Chad, Fred, or Kirby will swoop in and pick it up. :p

Just got her home. I would call you a sneak, but then I would have to acknowledge that I have done the same exact thing. He was only 5 minutes away from me so it was easy ;)

Ended up getting the bike for $120, which is good because the crank shaft has an ugly repair. Everything is straight, saddle just needs restitched. I see the original red paint underneath, will have to see if there is beautiful OG paint underneath... here's hoping. Does anything appear out of place? Wrong parts?

Well that crank shaft is kinda scary. Might just need a new one. The seat is awesome. And it's got a new departure model a rear hub. Awesome. Looks like a great bike. Good luck on the hunt for original paint.

Wow, that was a smokin’ deal! Hope you will post some future photos of whatever progress you make with this bike. I would definitely enjoy seeing where you take and wish you the best n your efforts.

Generally, looks like a Great Western Mfg. La Porte Indiana product.

Upon closer examination of the top of the bottom bracket, we see special custom aftermarket flanged cups; likely to fit an undersized 45mm Fauber (threaded?) bracket.
Perhaps a past conversion, from a 45mm threaded-BB/1-piece crank, to a non-threaded 2-piece crank, (brazed back into 1-pc again?).

Still a good $120 deal, even with the problem area; recommend leaving the crankset as-is, if it works.
There may be an option to do a modern conversion; using 46mm BB-adapters and BXM 3-piece crankset/sprocket, or maybe even retaining the top-hat cups already there.
1241628 1241629
I believe that there may also be a Swedish adapter to an Italian 3-piece crank.

Last edited:
Can someone tell me why this crank setup isn't original? Here is a crank set up on a single bar GW Hawthorne compared to mine. Upon closer inspection, the cups are chromed/nickel under the overpaint. I am uneducated in motobikes. Is the current setup factory with a damaged one-piece fauber? Or do I need to search for a replacement crank as well as a Hawthorne sprocket?

Back