When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this Varsity a 68?

Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

BLK80SLT

Look Ma, No Hands!
I haven't been on here in a while. I just inherited this Varsity from my uncle and I'm trying to figure out what year it is. The serial number says it's a 65 but the Campus green paint and the stem shifters say otherwise. I'm thinking 68?

20230810_150615.jpg

20230810_150729.jpg

20230810_150701.jpg

GTs58

I'm the Wiz, and nobody beats me!
This has to be one of the best Schwinn flukes I've seen in a while! The month and year stamping is very light too! That drop out was made and the serial was stamped in July 1965. Then it sat at the bottom of the parts barrel until 1967 when it was used to build that frame. That Varsity is a 1967 model, last year for the Sprint branded parts and the first year for the stem shifters and chain ring guard. Also 1967 was the year they brought back the oval Schwinn badge on the Varsity. With that stem, bow pedals and fenders, I'd guess it was originally a Tourist model. The brake cable stop at the brake levers is the plastic piece found on some cheap replacement cables.
The crank will be dated and the fork will have a two or three digit stamp on the inside of the left leg just above the axle slot. M+Y.

Last edited:

BLK80SLT

Look Ma, No Hands!
This has to be one of the best Schwinn flukes I've seen in a while! The month and year stamping is very light too! That drop out was made and the serial was stamped in July 1965. Then it sat at the bottom of the parts barrel until 1967 when it was used to build that frame. That Varsity is a 1967 model, last year for the Sprint branded parts and the first year for the stem shifters and chain ring guard. Also 1967 was the year they brought back the oval Schwinn badge on the Varsity. With that stem, bow pedals and fenders, I'd guess it was originally a Tourist model. The brake cable stop at the brake levers is the plastic piece found on some cheap replacement cables.
The crank will be dated and the fork will have a two or three digit stamp on the inside of the left leg just above the axle slot. M+Y.
Thanks so much for that info to help ID the year. He must have switched the handlebars. I'm going to clean and polish it, then hopefully donate it to a friend's collection.

MN_Schwinn

Look Ma, No Hands!
I was going to say similar… when I saw the twin stick shifters with no downtube nubs, I said it was a 67. But then I saw “GA” and said “what the h…”, knew it was a 65 frame. Crazy.

GTs58

I'm the Wiz, and nobody beats me!
I was going to say similar… when I saw the twin stick shifters with no downtube nubs, I said it was a 67. But then I saw “GA” and said “what the h…”, knew it was a 65 frame. Crazy.
Technically it's not a 65 frame, just the drop out piece was made on the serial stamping date. A frame builder must have dropped it and kicked it underneath his work bench and years later someone was cleaning up and found it. Then it was tossed back in the parts box. 🤣