When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It is easy to get financially upside down on a collectible bicycle

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
About 7-8 years ago I had the hair brain idea of getting/making a copy of my childhood bike that gave me plenty of cool memories. The hunt began and after a few weeks one popped up on eBay. It had nice paint but it had been drastically modified, more so than I saw in the listing photos. It was shipped from Black Mountain, NC after I won the bidding, and found out later I was bidding against another SBF member that was looking for one of these. Lost big money from the git go. It took a little over three weeks before it finally showed up at my doorstep after pulling my hair out dealing with the seller and shipping details. Oh heavens, what the hell did I get myself into. While I was cleaning up the paint I started looking for the parts to put it back to factory. I'm in over my head and this copy of my old bike cost me more than 3 maybe 4 times the resale value. But I love it!

What was added to bring it back.
Complete wheel sets including correct freewheel.
Rear Derailleur
Sprint saddle..........Lucked out finding this nice one!
Bars, stem and tape
All new cables
Brake Pads
Tires
Reflector and bracket
Rear alloy carrier and reflector.

View attachment 911390

View attachment 911391

View attachment 911392

What was added to bring it back.
Complete wheel sets including correct freewheel.
Rear Derailleur
Sprint saddle..........Lucked out finding this nice one!
Bars, stem and tape
All new cables
Brake Pads
Tires
Reflector and bracket
Rear alloy carrier and reflector.

It looks fantastic. But the difference with yours is that it's going to be kept, not flipped, after putting all the time and $$$ into it. I keep some bikes for many years, but at some point a few manage to leave the herd to make room for others (I'm down to 33 from a high of 51). Yours will never leave and that's what made it all worthwhile!

And that doesnt even include your labor which makes almost any bike a loss. But at least they are worth something when you are done. Bikes collecting for profit only would make it a business anyway and that's not the point IMO. Much easier ways to make money than bikes.

@Jim Barnard I used WD-40...#0000 steel wool...and a FINE wire brush (carefully!!) on a drill to do my rear rack. And of course a chrome polish.

IMG_4472.jpg

IMG_4518.jpg

It's easy to get financially upside down on ANYTHING !! I have never looked at this hobby as a financial "upside" or "downside". I just fool around with these bikes because I Iike them, they make me happy and that's pretty much it. I've bought some bikes "right" and I've bought many bikes "wrong", but in both cases, I bought them because I liked them. I'm also a realist and I know that someday the fun may wear off and they will all be on Craigslist.................................just not yet ! Pete in Fitchburg

I mostly build customs and I try to never think about what they cost. Even my stupid Retro Rocket bike probably cost me over $500. The only one that might be worth more than I put into it is my Iver Johnson Special Racer. Otherwise, I know they'll never be worth more money than I can put into them (never mind the time!), but I don't do drugs or gamble, drinking gives me migraines, my other art is cheap, and there's too much traffic full of idiots to bother with cars, so I look at this as a discount hobby.

love reading your write-ups Jim
That Bug in the background is beautiful .... WOW, what year is it?
and the $915 spent is not so bad as long as you had fun doing it.
at least you made the road trip worth while in your Fiat ;) , and didn't pay anything on shipping fees.
if you had the parts at home that could find a way back unto a bicycle ..... then that's even better

The Beetle is named "Olive" (of course) and she is the last year of the ovals 1957. She is the most fun to drive of any car I have had. She is light, agile and responsive to head winds and side winds.

Side note: It took me almost a week after buying the Jeep to realize it was a Fiat. Nine gears and right side gas fill should have clued me in...
IMG_3788[1].JPG

Back