When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It rides nice

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Strings-n-Spokes

I live for the CABE
I guess this is a Roadmaster of the 1934 or 1935 vintage
did it come with these bars?
What in the world is the brass thing for???
It is kind of like a nametag thing.
The fender is embossed for it, weird.
121708Rollmaster037-1.jpg

121708Rollmaster038-1.jpg

121708Rollmaster042-1.jpg

121708Rollmaster045-1.jpg

and what is this weird little hook thing on the back of the fork crown??

Does anybody have a catalog??

I am dying to see what this is supposed to look like

Your bike was made by the Cleveland Welding Company (house brand Roadmaster) for Firestone in 1937. The clip built into the front fender is a Firestone exclusive designed to hold three letters representing the owner’s initials. Cleveland Welding produced similar frames as early as 1935 but yours has the 1937 chainring, chain guard, and ridged gothic fenders which were all introduced in 1937.

The hole in the front fender was for a headlight which was either a Delta Silver Ray or a Delta Hornlight, probably the latter considering the date. Batteries would have been held in a battery tube mounted on the down tube as CWC never produced a tank that its that frame.

The bike may have originally been fitted with the standard 1937 CWC rack.

The “Flying V” fork is the standard fork that CWC used on their bikes from the earliest models up through 1937 (there are also variations without the truss rod supports). The fork was used on standard models in 1937 and the Swan truss fork, introduced that year was used on deluxe and supreme models. The tang off the back of the fork may be only a decoration or it may be there to intersect the pin on the optional lock that mounted to the downtube.

I expect the serial number is a B followed by five numbers.

I'll also note that the stem is a CWC exclusive offered in 1937 and 1938.

I'm not sure if the bars are original or not. I would not expect the aero grips that early.

Phil

Last edited:
here is a copy of the 1937 Spring and Summer Firestone catalogue, sadly I don't see a bike like yours in it.
Scott
cover.gif

pg12.gif

pg13.gif

pg14.gif

RMS37 Rulz

Thanks so much!! The serial number does start w/ a B followed by five numbers.

A plate for my monogram!!!! That is so AWESOME

Seriously I think I hurt myself turning it over to read the number,
this thing weighs about 120 pounds. Probably why it rides so smooth.

Is the Morrow rear hub original? I know on some bike makers they were optional, but not usually standard.

I checked 1936 which doesn't have your bike and 1939 also no go. The initial holders were used only in 1937 and 1938 by Firestone. It is a slim possibility that the bike is simply a model that, for whatever reason, is not in the catalogue, or that someone else used the initial holders. Firestones are usually Huffmans and Colsons in these years, and yours is clearly neither of these. If you figure out the mystery let us know.
Scott:cool:

I have seen Cleveland Welding bikes from that period with either New Departure or Morrow rear hubs so your rear hub could be original to the bike. The date stamp on the hub will date the hub and show if it is date-appropriate to the bike. Conversely the hub date may help pin down when the bike was assembled.

Are there any signs of original paint hiding under the black? I would expect a color with a second color for head darts, which is the standard CWC paint pattern for these bikes.

I have also noticed that bare CWC frames are among the heaviest; their fenders are also stamped from thicker steel than many of their contemporaries.

Over the years I have seen several of these frames turn up with the initial holder fenders. Catalog documentation is great but it is generally just a snapshot of what a company offered in total. Distributors where often looking for, and trying out arrangements with new suppliers to increase their options and profits. Some of these deals were smaller batches that never made the catalogs (A good example is the special curved tube Westfield Elgins which were produced in reasonably large numbers but never shown in the consumer catalogs).

My conjecture is that Firestone cut a deal with CWC for bikes in 1937 and asked for the special front fenders to align with this special feature used on the rest of their line. CWC obliged, the fenders are not generic, they are CWC stampings with the letter tray divot pressed into the front. At the time CWC was expanding their market and experimenting more broadly than in later years. CWC actually pressed some fenders specially for mounting defender taillights and hornlight bases at this time.

The ?B? serial number generally equates with 1937, a small number would be early in the year and a large number would probably be late summer 1937, I believe the C series bike production started before the end of 1937.

I?ll go a bit further in conjecture and say that if the serial number is low it probably means that CWC approached Firestone early in 1937 and offered to build bikes with fenders to their pattern. If the serial number is high it might mean that Firestone was able to get a good deal on overstocked frames and special fenders as CWC moved on to the next version of the frame with the more widely spaced top tubes and an optional tank.

Either way (or whatever actually happened) enough of these bikes have appeared that I have no doubt that CWC did manufacture these bikes for Firestone. It also appears that the contract was short lived and perhaps limited to this one model. (Any girl?s variants out there?)

Phil

weird

Well I am going to measure the holes for the headbadge I guess.

I do not know where to go from there

I guess I am glad that the bike has some uniqueness to it.

However this is gonna drive me nuts.

Thanks you guys!

Shane

Firestoned

B 72200

The color appears to have been green originally.

There are indentations on the fender in front and back of the light mount. Does this jive with the light that you mentioned before, Phil?

What about a badge? I thought the Huffman made Firestones said Huffman on them.

Back