When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It started with a drawing.

-

lobsterboyx

Wore out three sets of tires already!
that was thrown away.

a very brief back story.

as a product of the 80s and early 90s, I quickly realized that I was a bit different than my peers, my dad drove a 1954 buick roadmaster and my mom made our house feel like a museum. my parents were both professional designers, my mom, an interior designer and my dad an architect. After i graduated high school in 03, I went the route that many of us did, being lazy and feeling like i would never amount to anything. I got a associates degree in graphic design but never really liked it or chased a career in it. I had odd jobs here and there including a hot rod shop, vintage car parts shop, network admin, and even the pottery barn. I got a break and landed in a major motion picture studio here in LA. Working with the art department, I was fascinated with props and sets. after some soul searching I decided to go back to school and get a degree in industrial design while working part time at a special effects shop. this, my thesis project, has gone through many versions until a full scale mockup was built.

I was sitting on a train from san diego to la, and i was sitting next to a guy that was very talkative and inquisitive. we got on the topic of collecting things and it soon became apparent that he was a collector of bicycles, modern mountain bikes. I told him about my collection of pre and post war bikes and he was very interested. he knew of one classic bike, that shall remain nameless. it wasnt made of tubing but rather a composite.

taking a new approach to a vintage groundbreaking bike was the aim. I took a walk through the train and sat down in the observation deck, i got a napkin and a piece of paper and went to town. after thinking about it for the rest of the day, I threw the napkin away when i got off the train and decided it was going to be my thesis. I dont really know why i threw it away, but i think if i hadn't it would have gone by the wayside.

later that week i wrote up a proposal and to my utter astonishment, it was accepted. that was about 11 weeks ago.

I set to work on computer drawings and models.

Revision 1
frameandforkonly-1.jpg

heres the unfinished model (note front fender/fork)
bikewitheverythingh-1.jpg

I decided to go another route, In knowing that i wanted to create a full scale mockup this bike, I felt that the support bars were a bit out of place and distracting from the shape of the rest of the bike.

on to rev 2.
bikeframegood-1.jpg

(this is actually a full scale vector that i scaled down, dont know why it looks kind of weird.

on to modeling.

OHMY116-1.jpg

object001-1.jpg

back131-1.jpg

Im trying to simplify this as much as possible, but there was a lot of work between each of these steps, between stress testing, design tweaks, small scale models (printed on a 3d printer)

anyway, ill get to the juicy.

we started with MDF wood, 3- 3/8, 4x8 sheets laminated together. with some tweaking we were able to get both halves of the frame on one sheet, but first we had to trick our cnc router (we have a horrible cam program)

IMG_0925-1.jpg

we dialed it in pretty well, but the shops vac system was a bit overwhelmed by the amount of dust and chunks created by it.

IMG_0928-1.jpg

IMG_0931-1.jpg

the actual process to cut each side took about 14 hours a piece. each layer or step took about half an hour. since the vac system was struggling, i had to watch, and vaccum for all 28 hours that it was running. long nights.

more on this later.

heres the finished product from the cnc.

IMG_0934-1.jpg

IMG_0949-1.jpg

IMG_0951-1.jpg

the first time doing something that would soon consume my life.

IMG_0972-1.jpg

IMG_0977-1.jpg

IMG_0979-1.jpg

more later.

Congrats

Congratulations on this phase of your life.......... it will just get more interesting from here;)

from there, there was hours of filling and sanding left to be done

so first I mocked up some wheels.

IMG_0981-1.jpg

then started with wood putty...

IMG_1012-1.jpg

then bondo

IMG_1039-1.jpg

as you can see, the rear section needed a lot of work, having only a 3 axis cnc mill did not allow me to contour the back side of the rear supports, a grinder with sanding wheel made short work of that.

next was starting to add the features including handlebars, seat, and make sure the wheel was going to fit. I had a prewar drop center wheelset kicking around and used that for mockup sake. the original design called for 700x40 wheels, but the balloon tires seemed to work ok in the meantime.

IMG_1041-1.jpg

here it is with handlebars. since this was to be a modern interpretation, I found a set of FSA metropolis bars with brooks grips. I also had a brooks B135 waiting quietly for a new home. We also mocked up the rear supports. If you will notice that in the model, the supports were a lot bigger, this was an on the fly decision that turned out to be better than the intended design. the rear started to look a bit bulky and unmanagable with the larger supports so smaller ones were made.

f9d48cc8-1.jpg

and here is one semi blended with the final wheel/tire combo.

5c2eaeb0-1.jpg

from there, things began to take shape...

0e094976-1.jpg

more later.

So is the direction to be bowden spacelander like? Are you going to make a carbon fiber version?

you could say that, but Id like to stay as far away from that as possible. I think its important that it remains its own entity.

the goal is to use this as a master for a mold of either carbon fiber or fiberglass. there's still a lot more engineering that needs to happen before i even think about producing them I would say its not an overnight thing.

so we continued doing the body work to the point where we were 90% satisfied..

d60b36aa-1.jpg

799ce2bc-1.jpg

lots of late nights, greasy food, beer and smokes.

there were a few more details to add. at this point my partner and i (with the help of our girlfriends) decided to set aside our burning desire for perfection and go hard to the finish line.

we bought some aluminum strip from the hardware store and started on making an accent for the backbone of the bike.

511e687d-1.jpg

4dc50b0f-1.jpg

with the portfolio show looming a few weeks away, I sort of stepped back from the bike and concentraited more on the booth that I had to build.

wood is not my strong suit, but it started flying together.

ccc59f24-1.jpg

so back to the bike i went, we were only a few steps away from laying down the final paint and getting this huge model ready to be shown.

cb671a68-1.jpg

54e83b7a-1.jpg

4bd225fc-1.jpg

the mockup crank is only the tip of the iceberg, I want to try and make the drivetrain of this bicycle to be something special, and in the coming weeks and months, i really hope to have a ridable version of this.

small details became the name of the game. here is the bikes nameplate

234cbdde-1.jpg

the aerobike. why? because I like it.

finally the final paint was applied... being that this is backyard building at its best, we did exactly what we've dont to so many cars in the past, rattlecan, sand, repeat.

7d175828-1.jpg

one more post to go!

You know Danny, if it were me, I would build the Monocoque frame completely out of laminated hardwood. sanded and varnished it would be amazing looking and this would also completely move the emphasis away from the other Fiberglass bike of the 1960's. with a better CNC you would be able to accomplish this leaving minimal sanding and finishing work to be done. a few fittings and the bike would be completely ridable. personally I would head toward making it a 700c cyclocross/comfort hybrid bike. outfit it with modern head and bottom bracket size hardware. I have an idea for the drive system that I'll discuss with you less publicly.

Back