When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It was raining today so.....

-

Rivnut

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I decided to take inventory and clean up the axles and wheels on the 39(?) Elgin I just obtained. Disassembling the rear was no big deal, but when I got to the front, it took a 15mm socket to remove the axle nut and bearing cone. Does anyone know if Elgin used a really odd SAE sized front axle nut back in the day (something like in the 32nds or 64ths) or has someone before me been building a FrankenElgin? If I find an SAE tread axle and bearing cones, will the bearing that were in there match up okay? They seem to fit the hub and the cone okay. I know the front hub is original because it's one of those air cooled pieces.

After getting all of the grease and dirt off the front axle and finding the air cooled fins and realized that there were no fins on the rear hub. Thinking that I might have two different profile wheels, I got to comparing them. Besides the rear hub not having the cooling fins, when I compared the profiles, I found that the profiles match but the front rim is 1/32" wider than the rear rim. Anyone have a clue, besides someone before me just throwing some parts together, what I might have on my hands?

Blind faith has already led me to buy an air cooled rear hub assembly off eBay. Keep your fingers crossed for me as I blindly go forward.

Ed

Back