When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Italian Head Badge thread

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
-----

Can recall seeing a film featuring Bob Hoskins where he played an arborist in Pittsburgh PA.

Ah,...har she be -

Do you have any ideas regarding the heraldric significance of those two species of tree? i.e. what qualities they might stand for in heraldry?

-----
Bay: victory/conquest? Oak: strength (I am certain of that)

-----

Thanks for your responses gents! 😉

Always find heraldry endlessly fascinatin'.

---

returning now to two-wheelers:

assorted Italian headplates part 3 -

[this one is a bit difficult to read; it is Gino Liotto]

-----

A lot of eagles out there; either clutching plants or not. I do like the Liotto eagle on the handlebar.
I would assume the Aguila badge has an eagle since aguila is Italian for the same.
I still have another box of badges somewhere with more Italian (and English, Netherlands). Plus a bunch of frames I photo'd before selling or storing. I will keep searching.

I have always found early badges interesting based on family history, location, and just all out creativity. Newer stuff just is not that exciting since they are mostly just stylized letters used as logos.

I know what my personal badge(s) would be since it is combination of my life's experiences. The problem is it keeps morphing due to my continuing exploration of myself and the world in general. I think I would do something like Capo with a head badge and seat tube badge; heck the more badges the better in my opinion.

I think it would be a nice project for all to design a badge they would put on a bike that would give someone insight into who they are with such a small amount of space in which to do so. I will take up my own challenge and try to consolidate my old sketches into something that makes sense out what I have developed over the years.
I am half Italian so maybe one day I can actually produce a metal plate for one of my unknown frames and mount it along with some custom decals; and ask around if anybody knows the "marque's" history. I think there would be some interesting conversation guessing its lineage.

Last edited:
Cicli/Ciclo Giulietta; Milano (no info) (3 different style badges; not sure if all are the same marque since they are all substantially different)

50s Stem badge is the same as matching head badge except head badge has "CICLI"

-----

1669051293603.png

each time see a roseate pegasus cannot but help think of Mobil Oil Co. - am a very olde man

1669051786699.png

---

wrt the Aprilia marque:

1669051435545.png

there is also an Italian Aprilia marque for bicycle lighting hardware; do not know if there is any connection between them...

-----

Cicli Chesini; Nesent, Verona (est. circa 1925) (top badge from maybe 70s-early 80s? Bottom badge engraved on mid-late 90s Gran Premio, early 90s and before had model names engraved above the "C", most with the Arena di Verona but some without it. The "C" is engraved in various fonts, as well as the arena being engraved in various ways; they are not pantographs per se, but seem to be hand engraved making each frame one of a kind. More scarce are early badges with an eagle atop a globe. I have a mid-70s "Super Special" model bike that I have not photographed which has a decal badge, what's left of it, with a red star and is panto'd with stars similar to the Viner "stella" Professional models. As far as I know the "star" badge is only on that model which is fairly rare.)

Last edited:
wrt the Aprilia marque: there is also an Italian Aprilia marque for bicycle lighting hardware; do not know if there is any connection between them...

----
I believe the Aprilia brand dynamo is the same as the bike; the company also made motorbikes with many branded components.

Dalla Libera; Latina (est. ?) (Circa 60s;from Fiorelli built "Coppi" frame with Coppi medallions in the fork crown. Badged by Dalla Libera bike shop who sold these frames)

Fork medallion from same frame:

Last edited:
Back