When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It's a start

-
boy tinker you don"t mess around do you,looks like you done a few of these,projects get right to work!!

Got these pedals and this great "Jiffy" stand the Arlington Hts. show last month.
Cleaned them up a bit today and they're ready to put on the Colson.

A insignificant thing I know, but a great way to spend the day.....just messing around.:)
001.JPG
002.JPG

My $40- Colson that was purchased back in June is slowly getting there.....the "Jimmy D. springer fits great. Just laced up some early 1930's wheels that I painted ivory. Will add a green pinstripe to match frame color.......:)
012.JPG
013.JPG

Rolled out and installed the "ratty" green fenders today. Going to look through the fender brace stash and see if I have a curved brace for the front. Definitely got some patina now...
002.JPG
003.JPG

Had two early 26 in. rims I painted up and striped last week.Installed my favorite hubs
Selected two old Gillette "Bear" tires to place on them. Bad news..... No mater what they would not go on the rims. Figured since these tires were so old and hard that might be the reason.
Kinda chewed up my nice rims paint in the process.
I selected two old Carlisle lightning dart tires . Same problem. Chewed up the paint some more....
Finally got two Goodyears on. These were the hardest I have ever put on. Badly wrecked the nicely painted wheels...By this point I no longer cared about the paint, they were going on no matter what.
Only one problem : one tube now has a hole in it .[Yes I used tire spoons] and the wheels look like crap. the paint was just too fresh to be mounting tires... my mistake.:(
So...I have two other rims I don't need that I striped a dozen years back. Cutting out the hubs[as shown] and installing the Mussleman "air cooled" hubs.
These old rims" looked" like a good plan....Start over.....They must be a tad larger then 26 inch.
008.jpg
009.jpg
003.JPG
004.jpg

Solved the tire -rim problem. Put the hubs in another set of rims. Used the old "Gillette Bear". Tires.... plan to do another set of rims this winter for it with green pin striping. The red don't look right with green. Other then that, the Colson Rat Rod is done!:)

A few minor adjustments... the usual stuff. The seat bracket don't look right. Looks bent upwards. Other then a few details the $40 Colson will go out on it's first ride tomorrow.
The changes were :
Hawthorne sprocket...Shelby springer...torrington "U" bars...jeweled grips... Mussleman "air cooled" hubs .... tear drop pedals.....a rear reflector made out of an old valve handle... a motor bike kick stand and a 1950's hood ornament for the front fender.
010.JPG

I kept the original green fenders. A few years from now the frame should match their patina!

Now it's ready to join "the fleet".

015.JPG

004.jpg

019.JPG

010.JPG

005.jpg

006.JPG

007.jpg

009.JPG

013.JPG

Back